Amazon helps Kindle app developers with Maps API
Developers can now add interactive maps and custom overlays to Kindle apps
IDG News Service - Amazon.com has opened its Maps API to all Kindle developers, who can now use it to integrate maps in their applications for the Kindle Fire family of tablets.
The Maps API is the latest addition to Amazon's Mobile App SDK, to which the retailing giant has been continually adding new features as it tries to attract developers.
The API has two core features, interactive maps and custom overlays, that help implement functionality users have come to expect from mapping applications.
The interactive maps allow developers to embed a Map View in their applications, letting users pan and zoom. Developers can also display a user's current location, and allow them to switch between standard maps and satellite view, and more, according to a blog posted on Tuesday.
Custom overlays display the locations of businesses, landmarks and other points of interest with markers and pins that developers.
The Amazon Maps API, previously available in a limited beta test, is now part of the Amazon Mobile App SDK, which can be downloaded from the company's developer site.
Amazon's Kindle family now includes the Fire HD with either a 8.9-inch or a 7-inch screen, as well as the standard Fire, which also has a 7-inch screen.
In the last couple of months mapping has become a hot topic with the arrival of Apple's Maps app.
Amazon uses mapping data from Nokia, which is trying to raise its profile in the sector.
As part of that push Nokia launched the Here Maps application for Apple's iPhone and iPad last week, and it has also acquired earthmine for its 3D mapping prowess.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!