Amazon helps Kindle app developers with Maps API
Developers can now add interactive maps and custom overlays to Kindle apps
IDG News Service - Amazon.com has opened its Maps API to all Kindle developers, who can now use it to integrate maps in their applications for the Kindle Fire family of tablets.
The Maps API is the latest addition to Amazon's Mobile App SDK, to which the retailing giant has been continually adding new features as it tries to attract developers.
The API has two core features, interactive maps and custom overlays, that help implement functionality users have come to expect from mapping applications.
The interactive maps allow developers to embed a Map View in their applications, letting users pan and zoom. Developers can also display a user's current location, and allow them to switch between standard maps and satellite view, and more, according to a blog posted on Tuesday.
Custom overlays display the locations of businesses, landmarks and other points of interest with markers and pins that developers.
The Amazon Maps API, previously available in a limited beta test, is now part of the Amazon Mobile App SDK, which can be downloaded from the company's developer site.
Amazon's Kindle family now includes the Fire HD with either a 8.9-inch or a 7-inch screen, as well as the standard Fire, which also has a 7-inch screen.
In the last couple of months mapping has become a hot topic with the arrival of Apple's Maps app.
Amazon uses mapping data from Nokia, which is trying to raise its profile in the sector.
As part of that push Nokia launched the Here Maps application for Apple's iPhone and iPad last week, and it has also acquired earthmine for its 3D mapping prowess.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!