Google integrates Gmail, cloud storage service Drive
Attachments can now be 10GB, 400 times larger than Gmail would previously allow
Computerworld - Gmail users can now attach files up to 10GB in size by selecting them from the Google Drive cloud storage service.
Gmail announced the new capability on its blog today, stating that feature allows for attachments that are 400 times larger that Gmail users previously could have used.
"Also, because you're sending a file stored in the cloud, all your recipients will have access to the same, most-up-to-date version," wrote Phil Sharp, a Google product manager, in the blog post.
In order to attach a file from Google Drive, a user need only click on "Insert files using Drive" icon in the Compose box and then select the file from a drop down menu.
"Like a smart assistant, Gmail will also double-check that your recipients all have access to any files you're sending," Sharp wrote.
The feature works like Gmail's forgotten attachment detector "so that whenever you send a file from Google Drive that isn't shared with everyone, you'll be prompted with the option to change the file's sharing settings without leaving your email," he added.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Cloud Storage in Computerworld's Cloud Storage Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts