Google integrates Gmail, cloud storage service Drive
Attachments can now be 10GB, 400 times larger than Gmail would previously allow
Computerworld - Gmail users can now attach files up to 10GB in size by selecting them from the Google Drive cloud storage service.
Gmail announced the new capability on its blog today, stating that feature allows for attachments that are 400 times larger that Gmail users previously could have used.
"Also, because you're sending a file stored in the cloud, all your recipients will have access to the same, most-up-to-date version," wrote Phil Sharp, a Google product manager, in the blog post.
In order to attach a file from Google Drive, a user need only click on "Insert files using Drive" icon in the Compose box and then select the file from a drop down menu.
"Like a smart assistant, Gmail will also double-check that your recipients all have access to any files you're sending," Sharp wrote.
The feature works like Gmail's forgotten attachment detector "so that whenever you send a file from Google Drive that isn't shared with everyone, you'll be prompted with the option to change the file's sharing settings without leaving your email," he added.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Cloud Storage in Computerworld's Cloud Storage Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Exponentially Accelerate Data Protection and Recovery with Simpana 10 IntelliSnap® Snapshot Management Technology Are you making the best use of your storage array snapshot functionality? CommVault Simpana 10 IntelliSnap technology manages hardware-based snapshots across multiple vendor...
- Simpana IntelliSnap Technology Datasheet With IntelliSnap you can maximize the value of your snapshot technology while dramatically reducing management overhead and complexity.
- Enhancing Application Protection and Recovery with a Modern Approach to Snapshot Management This CommVault Business Value and Technology White Paper explains how Simpana IntelliSnap® Recovery Manager can make your application recovery fast and reliable.
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations. All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts