Google integrates Gmail, cloud storage service Drive
Attachments can now be 10GB, 400 times larger than Gmail would previously allow
Computerworld - Gmail users can now attach files up to 10GB in size by selecting them from the Google Drive cloud storage service.
Gmail announced the new capability on its blog today, stating that feature allows for attachments that are 400 times larger that Gmail users previously could have used.
"Also, because you're sending a file stored in the cloud, all your recipients will have access to the same, most-up-to-date version," wrote Phil Sharp, a Google product manager, in the blog post.
In order to attach a file from Google Drive, a user need only click on "Insert files using Drive" icon in the Compose box and then select the file from a drop down menu.
"Like a smart assistant, Gmail will also double-check that your recipients all have access to any files you're sending," Sharp wrote.
The feature works like Gmail's forgotten attachment detector "so that whenever you send a file from Google Drive that isn't shared with everyone, you'll be prompted with the option to change the file's sharing settings without leaving your email," he added.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Cloud Storage in Computerworld's Cloud Storage Topic Center.
- Top Five Reasons Why Customers Deploy a Flash 1st Strategy on EMC VNX Storage Read why with a FLASH 1st strategy, customers don't need to compromise between performance and TCO.
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Cloud Backup IT departments are embracing cloud backup, but there's a lot you need to know before choosing a service provider. Learn all the critical...
- Selecting the Optimal Path to Private Cloud Explore three key Cloud computing models-integrated infrastructure systems, reference architectures, and "build your own" solutions.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Pivotal CF: The Journey to Great Software Begins Here The concept of PaaS is not new, but a new class is emerging. This second generation of hybrid PaaS allows technologists to have...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Cloud Storage White Papers | Webcasts