Asus delays Taichi dual-screen ultrabooks
The Asus Taichi could ship in December, or be delayed to an even later date
IDG News Service - Asustek has delayed U.S. shipments for its dual-screen Taichi ultrabooks, which were available for order from retail sites like Amazon, Newegg and TigerDirect.
The Taichi tablet-laptop hybrid has an innovative design with two screens, one on the front and one on the back of a display panel. At first glance, it looks like a laptop with an 11.6-inch touchscreen, but closing the laptop activates another 11.6-inch touchscreen on the back of the panel for the device to become a tablet.
Taichi was an attention grabber when first announced at the Computex trade show in June this year. The Taichi models were originally expected to ship in November, shortly after Windows 8 became available in PCs and tablets in late October. An Asus spokeswoman said via email that U.S. shipments will likely start in December, but could be delayed to even later than that. She did not provide specific reasons for the delay and did not provide information about worldwide shipping status for the Taichi.
The tablet-laptop Windows 8 hybrid device is being sold in two models. The Taichi 21 DH51 has an Intel Core i5 processor and 128GB solid-state drive storage, and was originally priced at $1,299 on Amazon.com, Newegg and TigerDirect.
The retail sites have stopped taking orders and listed the Taichi models as either being out of stock or discontinued.
The Taichi models have high-resolution, 1920-by-1080-pixel screens, weigh 1.2 kilograms, and have 4GB of RAM. Additional features include a 5-megapixel webcam, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and two USB 3.0 ports.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!