Bing's top 2012 search terms: iPhone 5, Facebook
List of most searched tersm on Microsoft engine shine light on tech, social networks, music and movies
Computerworld - The annual list of top search queries on Bing show that Facebook, Apple's iPhone 5 and the presidential election have been of significant interest to the online world during 2012.
"Believe it or not, it's already time to look back at 2012 and reflect on the moments that most fascinated Americans this year," wrote the Bing Team in a blog post yesterday.
"From one of the most hotly contested elections in U.S. history, the pageantry of the Olympic Games in London and high-profile IPOs to rising stars, reality TV and Gangnam Style, it's been a pretty exciting twelve months," the team added.
Microsoft's Bing team aggregated billions of search queries and came up with the top search terms in a variety of categories - from Social Networks to News Stories, Consumer Electronics, Olympians and Musicians.
The most searched social network -- Facebook -- is no surprise. It's the largest social network in the world. Twitter was the second most popular social networking term followed by MySpace, LinkedIn and Tumblr.
The top search in the Consumer Electronics category -- Apple's iPhone 5 -- was also much talked about this year. Apple's iPad was the second most searched term in the category, followed by Samsung Galaxy S III, Galaxy S3 and Amazon Kindle reader.
The winners in other categories included:
- Most Searched Person of the Year - Kim Kardashian
- Most Searched Sports Star - Peyton Manning
- Most Searched Musician - Justin Bieber
- Most Searched Olympian - Serena Williams
- Most Searched Movies - The Avengers
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Internet Search in Computerworld's Internet Search Topic Center.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Enterprises in Motion: In-Vehicle Networks In a world where traditional tethers to the central office have all but vanished, enterprises that operate vehicle fleets require constant and dependable...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!