Bing's top 2012 search terms: iPhone 5, Facebook
List of most searched tersm on Microsoft engine shine light on tech, social networks, music and movies
Computerworld - The annual list of top search queries on Bing show that Facebook, Apple's iPhone 5 and the presidential election have been of significant interest to the online world during 2012.
"Believe it or not, it's already time to look back at 2012 and reflect on the moments that most fascinated Americans this year," wrote the Bing Team in a blog post yesterday.
"From one of the most hotly contested elections in U.S. history, the pageantry of the Olympic Games in London and high-profile IPOs to rising stars, reality TV and Gangnam Style, it's been a pretty exciting twelve months," the team added.
Microsoft's Bing team aggregated billions of search queries and came up with the top search terms in a variety of categories - from Social Networks to News Stories, Consumer Electronics, Olympians and Musicians.
The most searched social network -- Facebook -- is no surprise. It's the largest social network in the world. Twitter was the second most popular social networking term followed by MySpace, LinkedIn and Tumblr.
The top search in the Consumer Electronics category -- Apple's iPhone 5 -- was also much talked about this year. Apple's iPad was the second most searched term in the category, followed by Samsung Galaxy S III, Galaxy S3 and Amazon Kindle reader.
The winners in other categories included:
- Most Searched Person of the Year - Kim Kardashian
- Most Searched Sports Star - Peyton Manning
- Most Searched Musician - Justin Bieber
- Most Searched Olympian - Serena Williams
- Most Searched Movies - The Avengers
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Internet Search in Computerworld's Internet Search Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts