Bing's top 2012 search terms: iPhone 5, Facebook
List of most searched tersm on Microsoft engine shine light on tech, social networks, music and movies
Computerworld - The annual list of top search queries on Bing show that Facebook, Apple's iPhone 5 and the presidential election have been of significant interest to the online world during 2012.
"Believe it or not, it's already time to look back at 2012 and reflect on the moments that most fascinated Americans this year," wrote the Bing Team in a blog post yesterday.
"From one of the most hotly contested elections in U.S. history, the pageantry of the Olympic Games in London and high-profile IPOs to rising stars, reality TV and Gangnam Style, it's been a pretty exciting twelve months," the team added.
Microsoft's Bing team aggregated billions of search queries and came up with the top search terms in a variety of categories - from Social Networks to News Stories, Consumer Electronics, Olympians and Musicians.
The most searched social network -- Facebook -- is no surprise. It's the largest social network in the world. Twitter was the second most popular social networking term followed by MySpace, LinkedIn and Tumblr.
The top search in the Consumer Electronics category -- Apple's iPhone 5 -- was also much talked about this year. Apple's iPad was the second most searched term in the category, followed by Samsung Galaxy S III, Galaxy S3 and Amazon Kindle reader.
The winners in other categories included:
- Most Searched Person of the Year - Kim Kardashian
- Most Searched Sports Star - Peyton Manning
- Most Searched Musician - Justin Bieber
- Most Searched Olympian - Serena Williams
- Most Searched Movies - The Avengers
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Internet Search in Computerworld's Internet Search Topic Center.
- Protecting Data in a Virtual World AppAssure helps organizations transform backup and recovery operations for virtual and hybrid environments.
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5 This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Oracle and VCE: The Next Step in Integrated Computing Platforms In this ESG Lab review you will learn how a VCE system driven by Oracle, delivers the perfect blend of high performance and...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All Internet Search White Papers | Webcasts