Bing's top 2012 search terms: iPhone 5, Facebook
List of most searched tersm on Microsoft engine shine light on tech, social networks, music and movies
Computerworld - The annual list of top search queries on Bing show that Facebook, Apple's iPhone 5 and the presidential election have been of significant interest to the online world during 2012.
"Believe it or not, it's already time to look back at 2012 and reflect on the moments that most fascinated Americans this year," wrote the Bing Team in a blog post yesterday.
"From one of the most hotly contested elections in U.S. history, the pageantry of the Olympic Games in London and high-profile IPOs to rising stars, reality TV and Gangnam Style, it's been a pretty exciting twelve months," the team added.
Microsoft's Bing team aggregated billions of search queries and came up with the top search terms in a variety of categories - from Social Networks to News Stories, Consumer Electronics, Olympians and Musicians.
The most searched social network -- Facebook -- is no surprise. It's the largest social network in the world. Twitter was the second most popular social networking term followed by MySpace, LinkedIn and Tumblr.
The top search in the Consumer Electronics category -- Apple's iPhone 5 -- was also much talked about this year. Apple's iPad was the second most searched term in the category, followed by Samsung Galaxy S III, Galaxy S3 and Amazon Kindle reader.
The winners in other categories included:
- Most Searched Person of the Year - Kim Kardashian
- Most Searched Sports Star - Peyton Manning
- Most Searched Musician - Justin Bieber
- Most Searched Olympian - Serena Williams
- Most Searched Movies - The Avengers
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Internet Search in Computerworld's Internet Search Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Internet Search White Papers | Webcasts