Bank moves to real-time processing
With Accenture's help, customers will be able to see transactions online as soon as they take place
IDG News Service - BBVA Compass, the U.S. subsidiary of the Madrid-based Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria banking group, is modernizing its core IT banking infrastructure, making it one of the first banks in the U.S. to offer real-time processing for its customers.
IT services and consulting company Accenture has supplied the software and is integrating it into the bank's other IT systems, as part of a $362 million IT core modernization effort BBVA is undertaking. BBVA has 716 branches in the U.S., which span seven states across the Sun Belt region.
The new system offers real-time processing of banking transactions, a rarity with U.S. banks, noted Sergio Fidalgo, BBVA Compass chief information officer. When a customer deposits money into a checking or savings account, the transaction appears immediately on the user's online statement and mobile applications.
Most U.S. banks still process transactions in batch mode, in which transactions don't appear on digital statements for a few hours or even until the next day. Because of the sensitive nature of financial processing, banks are slow to update their core IT systems once they are proven reliable.
Real-time transaction processing, however, "will give us a competitive advantage in the U.S. banking industry," Fidalgo said. "This is a game changer for this industry."
Accenture's Alnova Financial Solutions software provides checking and savings deposit functionality, as well as consumer and business lending capabilities. Accenture is integrating the software with the bank's ATM networks, call centers and online and mobile banking services, so each service will have the same information. With Accenture's help, BBVA is consolidating customer records so that each customer has a single record within the system.
Customers are now using the real-time functionality with their checking and savings accounts, and the similar functionality will be available with consumer and business loans by early 2013, Fidalgo said.
Accenture's Core Banking Services will handle the work. The division has worked on more than 200 banking institutions around the world and is pitching the service to other U.S. banks. BBVA uses the Alnova software in nine other countries.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month
- IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance
- If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Budd Van Lines Moves Data Closer to Home
- Shipping and logistics company Budd Van Lines uses Infinio to improve performance on their VDI environment. The company employs a virtualized datacenter based...
- Storage Performance with Cost Control
- As IT groups expand their server virtualization initiatives, central storage performance can become the bottleneck and create poor end user experience.
- Server-side Caching for the VMware Admin
- vExpert David Davis weights in on how best-in-class server-side caching solutions can drastically improve storage performance and reduce latency without the addition of... All Financial IT White Papers
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- All Financial IT Webcasts