Bank moves to real-time processing
With Accenture's help, customers will be able to see transactions online as soon as they take place
IDG News Service - BBVA Compass, the U.S. subsidiary of the Madrid-based Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria banking group, is modernizing its core IT banking infrastructure, making it one of the first banks in the U.S. to offer real-time processing for its customers.
IT services and consulting company Accenture has supplied the software and is integrating it into the bank's other IT systems, as part of a $362 million IT core modernization effort BBVA is undertaking. BBVA has 716 branches in the U.S., which span seven states across the Sun Belt region.
The new system offers real-time processing of banking transactions, a rarity with U.S. banks, noted Sergio Fidalgo, BBVA Compass chief information officer. When a customer deposits money into a checking or savings account, the transaction appears immediately on the user's online statement and mobile applications.
Most U.S. banks still process transactions in batch mode, in which transactions don't appear on digital statements for a few hours or even until the next day. Because of the sensitive nature of financial processing, banks are slow to update their core IT systems once they are proven reliable.
Real-time transaction processing, however, "will give us a competitive advantage in the U.S. banking industry," Fidalgo said. "This is a game changer for this industry."
Accenture's Alnova Financial Solutions software provides checking and savings deposit functionality, as well as consumer and business lending capabilities. Accenture is integrating the software with the bank's ATM networks, call centers and online and mobile banking services, so each service will have the same information. With Accenture's help, BBVA is consolidating customer records so that each customer has a single record within the system.
Customers are now using the real-time functionality with their checking and savings accounts, and the similar functionality will be available with consumer and business loans by early 2013, Fidalgo said.
Accenture's Core Banking Services will handle the work. The division has worked on more than 200 banking institutions around the world and is pitching the service to other U.S. banks. BBVA uses the Alnova software in nine other countries.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month
- IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance
- If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context
- This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk
- This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain
- This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise. All Financial IT White Papers
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- All Financial IT Webcasts