Bank moves to real-time processing
With Accenture's help, customers will be able to see transactions online as soon as they take place
IDG News Service - BBVA Compass, the U.S. subsidiary of the Madrid-based Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria banking group, is modernizing its core IT banking infrastructure, making it one of the first banks in the U.S. to offer real-time processing for its customers.
IT services and consulting company Accenture has supplied the software and is integrating it into the bank's other IT systems, as part of a $362 million IT core modernization effort BBVA is undertaking. BBVA has 716 branches in the U.S., which span seven states across the Sun Belt region.
The new system offers real-time processing of banking transactions, a rarity with U.S. banks, noted Sergio Fidalgo, BBVA Compass chief information officer. When a customer deposits money into a checking or savings account, the transaction appears immediately on the user's online statement and mobile applications.
Most U.S. banks still process transactions in batch mode, in which transactions don't appear on digital statements for a few hours or even until the next day. Because of the sensitive nature of financial processing, banks are slow to update their core IT systems once they are proven reliable.
Real-time transaction processing, however, "will give us a competitive advantage in the U.S. banking industry," Fidalgo said. "This is a game changer for this industry."
Accenture's Alnova Financial Solutions software provides checking and savings deposit functionality, as well as consumer and business lending capabilities. Accenture is integrating the software with the bank's ATM networks, call centers and online and mobile banking services, so each service will have the same information. With Accenture's help, BBVA is consolidating customer records so that each customer has a single record within the system.
Customers are now using the real-time functionality with their checking and savings accounts, and the similar functionality will be available with consumer and business loans by early 2013, Fidalgo said.
Accenture's Core Banking Services will handle the work. The division has worked on more than 200 banking institutions around the world and is pitching the service to other U.S. banks. BBVA uses the Alnova software in nine other countries.
- Google I/O 2013's Coolest Products and Services
- 10 Star Trek Technologies That are Almost Here
- 19 Generations of Computer Programmers
- 25 Must-Have Technologies for SMBs
- A walking tour: 33 questions to ask about your company's security
- 15 social media scams
- The 7 elements of a successful security awareness program
Can the financial services industry prevent some of these disasters through better quality software? I believe the answer is yes!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- ESG: The Contemporary Value of Virtual Storage Appliances: HP renews its focus with StoreVirtual VSA
- A good virtual storage appliance (VSA) can simultaneously make good business sense and deliver operational value by allowing users to avoid the additional...
- Taneja Group: HP 3PAR StoreServ 7000 - Enterprise for the Mid-range
- In this report, the Taneja Group takes an objective, in-depth look at the features of the HP 3PAR StoreServ 7000 powered by Intel...
- Edison Group: Stepping Up to the Next Generation: The Business Value of Upgrading from HP EVA Storage to 3PAR StoreServ Storage
- HP EVA Storage users who face performance and scalability tradeoffs should consider an upgrade to 3PAR StoreServ Storage, powered by Intel Xeon processors.
- Taneja Group: Ensuring Business Continuity of SAN Storage with the HP 3PAR StoreServ 7000 Family
- Built from the ground up with business continuity in mind, Taneja reviews the HP 3PAR StoreServ 7000 array, powered by Intel Xeon processors,...
- ESG: The Business and Operational Benefits Achieved With HP StoreVirtual 4000 Storage
- Learn how HP StoreVirtual, features deliver time and resource savings, faster recovery capabilities, reduced outages and an impressive and quantifiable ROI. All Financial IT White Papers
- 3 Reasons Why Sepaton is the World's Fastest Backup Solution
- Leading analyst, Storage Switzerland learns how Sepaton backs up and deduplicates massive data volumes while maintaining the industry's fastest performance - all in...
- Enterprise File Sharing: All You Need to Know
- Security. Scalability. Control. These are just some of the many benefits of enterprise cloud file-sharing that you'll discover in this KnowledgeVault, packed with...
- Bridging HTTP and FTP with FileXpress Internet Server
- What if you could take an FTP server on your internal network, and allow external users (partners or customers) to securely access it...
- MFT and FileXpress - An Overview
- Business users and applications exchange files on a regular basis. File transfer is a core part of the flow of business activity.
- Content Analytics: Big Data Conquered, Customer Service Elevated
- For organizations looking to start a content analytics program or improve their existing capabilities, Aberdeen Group and IBM will lay out several recommendations... All Financial IT Webcasts