Cyber Monday smashes online sales record
Multiple reports call Monday biggest online spending day ever
Computerworld - Cyber Monday 2012 -- yesterday -- was the biggest online shopping day in history, according to multiple sources.
The Adobe Digital Index, which tracks online spending, said that online sales totaled some $1.98 billion Monday, a 17% increase over Cyber Monday online sales last year.
An IBM analysis of Cyber Monday sales echoed Adobe's findings, also finding that yesterday was the biggest online sales day ever. The IBM analysis showed that 2012 Cyber Monday sales were 30.3% more than last year, though its report lacked dollar figures.
The IBM analysis did note that sales were quite strong during the workday -- online buying peaked at 11:25 a.m. ET.
According to IBM's report, about 13% of total Cyber Monday online sales were done via mobile devices, 96% more than last year.
A study by Compuware APM found that Apple's site held up best among retailers during the Cyber Monday online shopping onslaught. Rounding out the top five performing sites yesterday were Costco, JCPenney, Dell and Overstock.com.
The Cyber Monday online sales total broke a record that had been set just three days earlier. Online tracker comScore had granted Black Friday 2012 the online sales record -- $1.042 billion.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!