Cyber Monday smashes online sales record
Multiple reports call Monday biggest online spending day ever
Computerworld - Cyber Monday 2012 -- yesterday -- was the biggest online shopping day in history, according to multiple sources.
The Adobe Digital Index, which tracks online spending, said that online sales totaled some $1.98 billion Monday, a 17% increase over Cyber Monday online sales last year.
An IBM analysis of Cyber Monday sales echoed Adobe's findings, also finding that yesterday was the biggest online sales day ever. The IBM analysis showed that 2012 Cyber Monday sales were 30.3% more than last year, though its report lacked dollar figures.
The IBM analysis did note that sales were quite strong during the workday -- online buying peaked at 11:25 a.m. ET.
According to IBM's report, about 13% of total Cyber Monday online sales were done via mobile devices, 96% more than last year.
A study by Compuware APM found that Apple's site held up best among retailers during the Cyber Monday online shopping onslaught. Rounding out the top five performing sites yesterday were Costco, JCPenney, Dell and Overstock.com.
The Cyber Monday online sales total broke a record that had been set just three days earlier. Online tracker comScore had granted Black Friday 2012 the online sales record -- $1.042 billion.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- It's Not Them, It's You: How Customer Experience Impacts Your Identity and Access Management Practices Customers want more online access, but they also want to do less to get there: more mobility with less hassle. More security, but...
- 5 Reasons It's Time For Secure Single Sign-On While cloud-based applications provide many business benefits including lowering capital expenditures, they can also drive up operational expenses by requiring more administration and...
- Identity is the Center of Omnichannel This paper covers the benefits of adding an identity layer to bridge the gaps of simplified access, multiple entry points and authentication -...
- How to Extend Identity Security to Your APIs This paper discusses what these standards and specifications are, how they can be composed with existing standards like SAML, and details about how...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow... All E-business White Papers | Webcasts