Cyber Monday smashes online sales record
Multiple reports call Monday biggest online spending day ever
Computerworld - Cyber Monday 2012 -- yesterday -- was the biggest online shopping day in history, according to multiple sources.
The Adobe Digital Index, which tracks online spending, said that online sales totaled some $1.98 billion Monday, a 17% increase over Cyber Monday online sales last year.
An IBM analysis of Cyber Monday sales echoed Adobe's findings, also finding that yesterday was the biggest online sales day ever. The IBM analysis showed that 2012 Cyber Monday sales were 30.3% more than last year, though its report lacked dollar figures.
The IBM analysis did note that sales were quite strong during the workday -- online buying peaked at 11:25 a.m. ET.
According to IBM's report, about 13% of total Cyber Monday online sales were done via mobile devices, 96% more than last year.
A study by Compuware APM found that Apple's site held up best among retailers during the Cyber Monday online shopping onslaught. Rounding out the top five performing sites yesterday were Costco, JCPenney, Dell and Overstock.com.
The Cyber Monday online sales total broke a record that had been set just three days earlier. Online tracker comScore had granted Black Friday 2012 the online sales record -- $1.042 billion.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- 6TB Oracle Ecommerce Stack Deployed on AWS in 7 Days A Fortune 1000 company was told that it would take more than 6 months to deploy their ecommerce stack on AWS. CloudVelocity deployed...
- SANS: Next-Generation Datacenters = Next-Generation Security This whitepaper takes a look at some new technology that may allow security teams to implement more flexible and capable protection models in...
- SANS: Protecting Virtual Endpoints with McAfee Server Security Suite Essentials SANS review of McAfees Server Security Suite Essentials that address some of the emerging challenges of securing virtual platforms and cloud environments.
- Safeguarding the Next-Generation Data Center Use of virtual and cloud servers has exploded. Unfortunately, security often lags behind. McAfee recommends looking at innovative solutions in order to erect...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever. All E-business White Papers | Webcasts