Firefox 18 is currently slated to ship in final form the week of Jan. 7, 2013.
Other improvements in Firefox 18 highlighted by Mozilla included support for the "Retina" screens used by some Apple MacBook Pro notebooks, a browser-integrated PDF viewer, and an option that lets users disable insecure content -- that not protected by SSL, in other words -- found on HTTPS-secured sites.
That last feature has a possibly record-breaking history: According to Bugzilla, Mozilla's change- and bug-tracking database, work on insecure content disabling began almost 12 years ago, four years before Firefox 1.0 appeared.
"Way to go. I thought this might never land. And we beat the 12-year anniversary!" said Johnathan Nightingale, Mozilla's vice president of engineering, in a September 2012 message on the Bugzilla thread devoted to the feature.
The beta of Firefox 18 can be downloaded from Mozilla's website. Users who have been running earlier betas will be automatically updated to the new preview.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Chrome users won't give up, keep pressing Google to restore old-style new tab page
- Google quashes 31 vulnerabilities, restores Metro mode 'steppers' with Chrome 34
- Firefox's UI face-lift on track for April debut
- Ex-Mozilla engineer blames Microsoft's rules for Metro Firefox's death
- Mozilla patches 20 Firefox flaws, plugs Pwn2Own holes
- Google reverses field, promises to restore Chrome's scrollbar arrows
- Update: Google ships Chrome 33, patches 28 bugs
- Mozilla's top exec defends in-Firefox ads, revenue search
- Mozilla taps in-Firefox ads as it searches for more revenue
- Mozilla ships Metro Firefox beta for Windows 8
Read more about Internet in Computerworld's Internet Topic Center.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Internet White Papers | Webcasts