Firefox 18 is currently slated to ship in final form the week of Jan. 7, 2013.
Other improvements in Firefox 18 highlighted by Mozilla included support for the "Retina" screens used by some Apple MacBook Pro notebooks, a browser-integrated PDF viewer, and an option that lets users disable insecure content -- that not protected by SSL, in other words -- found on HTTPS-secured sites.
That last feature has a possibly record-breaking history: According to Bugzilla, Mozilla's change- and bug-tracking database, work on insecure content disabling began almost 12 years ago, four years before Firefox 1.0 appeared.
"Way to go. I thought this might never land. And we beat the 12-year anniversary!" said Johnathan Nightingale, Mozilla's vice president of engineering, in a September 2012 message on the Bugzilla thread devoted to the feature.
The beta of Firefox 18 can be downloaded from Mozilla's website. Users who have been running earlier betas will be automatically updated to the new preview.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- IE6: Retired but not dead yet
- Chrome users won't give up, keep pressing Google to restore old-style new tab page
- Google quashes 31 vulnerabilities, restores Metro mode 'steppers' with Chrome 34
- Firefox's UI face-lift on track for April debut
- Ex-Mozilla engineer blames Microsoft's rules for Metro Firefox's death
- Mozilla patches 20 Firefox flaws, plugs Pwn2Own holes
- Google reverses field, promises to restore Chrome's scrollbar arrows
- Update: Google ships Chrome 33, patches 28 bugs
- Mozilla's top exec defends in-Firefox ads, revenue search
- Mozilla taps in-Firefox ads as it searches for more revenue
Read more about Internet in Computerworld's Internet Topic Center.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!