Microsoft updates Visual Studio 2012 testing tools, adds Windows XP support
Update lets developers write applications for Windows XP
IDG News Service - Microsoft's Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 is now available for download. The update allows users to develop applications for Windows XP and more thoroughly test their work.
The previous version of Microsoft's development tool was launched along with .NET 4.5 in September this year.
That an update arrives so quickly following the launch is part Microsoft's plan to upgrade Visual Studio at shorter intervals, the corporate vice president of Microsoft's developer division, Soma Somasegar, wrote in a blog post on Monday.
The improvements are related to four areas: Windows development, SharePoint development, agile teams, and continuous quality, according to Somasegar.
Windows developers can now use Visual Studio 2012 to write C++ applications for Windows XP.
Update 1 also includes improved diagnostics and testing for Windows Store apps, and code analysis to help improve the quality of applications for Windows Phone 8.
SharePoint developers who install the update can better test their applications. They can, for example, see how the applications cope with simulated load and network conditions.
In general, the ability to test applications is a key focus area for Update 1, Somasegar said.
Developers can record tests on Internet Explorer and later replay them with other browsers. Microsoft Test Manager has also been enhanced.
To improve support for agile development techniques Microsoft has added a new range of project tracking options and made usability improvements for developers who manage projects using the web-based interface for Team Foundation Server.
There is a new visualization feature called Code Map, as well. It allows developers to dynamically build views of relevant areas of a code base in order to understand and navigate its relationships quickly, according to Somasegar.
Besides new features, the update also includes more than a 100 fixes.
Users who encounter bugs or other issues should report them through the Visual Studio, LightSwitch, and Blend Connect sites, Microsoft said.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!