Infor, VMWare team for virtualized ERP
Infor customers will be able to create virtual appliances with a new reference architecture
IDG News Service - Infor has teamed up with VMWare to help customers of its Infor LN ERP software run on VMWare's latest virtualization technology, opening a door to cloud deployments and potentially lower infrastructure costs.
The companies have created a reference architecture that customers and partners can use to create a virtual appliance with VMWare products such as vSphere, Cloud Director and vFabric, according to the announcement, which was made Tuesday.
Customers will be able to deploy the appliances to either on-premises or cloud infrastructures, Infor said.
A whitepaper on the reference architecture will be made available within the next few weeks, said Ali Shadman, senior vice president of business cloud and Upgrade/S at Infor.
"This was a way to create the foundation for customers and partners to build virtual appliances," he said. "As we move forward we're going to create a hard offering around LN and other apps that are a good fit."
Infor is hoping to work with customers on the virtual appliances and will likely have packaged products out within six months, Shadman said.
It's planning to take whatever time it needs, however. "[ERP systems] run companies," he said. "We need to be very confident and sure of our steps."
The VMWare announcement follows a similar one Infor made with Red Hat in September.
Infor customers have expressed "high interest" in virtualization and virtual appliances, and many are already VMWare users, according to Shadman.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts