Infor, VMWare team for virtualized ERP
Infor customers will be able to create virtual appliances with a new reference architecture
IDG News Service - Infor has teamed up with VMWare to help customers of its Infor LN ERP software run on VMWare's latest virtualization technology, opening a door to cloud deployments and potentially lower infrastructure costs.
The companies have created a reference architecture that customers and partners can use to create a virtual appliance with VMWare products such as vSphere, Cloud Director and vFabric, according to the announcement, which was made Tuesday.
Customers will be able to deploy the appliances to either on-premises or cloud infrastructures, Infor said.
A whitepaper on the reference architecture will be made available within the next few weeks, said Ali Shadman, senior vice president of business cloud and Upgrade/S at Infor.
"This was a way to create the foundation for customers and partners to build virtual appliances," he said. "As we move forward we're going to create a hard offering around LN and other apps that are a good fit."
Infor is hoping to work with customers on the virtual appliances and will likely have packaged products out within six months, Shadman said.
It's planning to take whatever time it needs, however. "[ERP systems] run companies," he said. "We need to be very confident and sure of our steps."
The VMWare announcement follows a similar one Infor made with Red Hat in September.
Infor customers have expressed "high interest" in virtualization and virtual appliances, and many are already VMWare users, according to Shadman.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Leave No App Behind with Software Defined Application Services F5 Software Defined Application Services (SDAS) is the next-generation model for delivering application services that enables service injection, consumption, automation, and orchestration across...
- The ADC's Role in the New Network Infrastructure Cloud computing and the BYOD trend will impact the design of future datacenters and their supporting networks. As these trends continue, application delivery...
- Three Key Principles to Accelerating Web Applications Read this article to learn more about the essential principles driving web application acceleration technologies today.
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts