Infor, VMWare team for virtualized ERP
Infor customers will be able to create virtual appliances with a new reference architecture
IDG News Service - Infor has teamed up with VMWare to help customers of its Infor LN ERP software run on VMWare's latest virtualization technology, opening a door to cloud deployments and potentially lower infrastructure costs.
The companies have created a reference architecture that customers and partners can use to create a virtual appliance with VMWare products such as vSphere, Cloud Director and vFabric, according to the announcement, which was made Tuesday.
Customers will be able to deploy the appliances to either on-premises or cloud infrastructures, Infor said.
A whitepaper on the reference architecture will be made available within the next few weeks, said Ali Shadman, senior vice president of business cloud and Upgrade/S at Infor.
"This was a way to create the foundation for customers and partners to build virtual appliances," he said. "As we move forward we're going to create a hard offering around LN and other apps that are a good fit."
Infor is hoping to work with customers on the virtual appliances and will likely have packaged products out within six months, Shadman said.
It's planning to take whatever time it needs, however. "[ERP systems] run companies," he said. "We need to be very confident and sure of our steps."
The VMWare announcement follows a similar one Infor made with Red Hat in September.
Infor customers have expressed "high interest" in virtualization and virtual appliances, and many are already VMWare users, according to Shadman.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Virtualization Security Is Not an Oxymoron While the business benefits of virtualization are clear, the virtualized world makes your organization vulnerable to an array of new cybersecurity threats.
- Security for Virtualization In the rush to implement virtualization, security has become second. So while the business benefits are clear, the risks are less well documented...
- Enabling Ubiquitous Visibility in Virtualized Environments Enterprises are rapidly adopting virtualization for dynamic service delivery and service management agility. IT challenges already exist in virtual environments and will only...
- ESG - Economic Value Validation - Riverbed Performance Management: Cascade Top 10 Most Important IT Priorities
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Virtualization White Papers | Webcasts