Infor, VMWare team for virtualized ERP
Infor customers will be able to create virtual appliances with a new reference architecture
IDG News Service - Infor has teamed up with VMWare to help customers of its Infor LN ERP software run on VMWare's latest virtualization technology, opening a door to cloud deployments and potentially lower infrastructure costs.
The companies have created a reference architecture that customers and partners can use to create a virtual appliance with VMWare products such as vSphere, Cloud Director and vFabric, according to the announcement, which was made Tuesday.
Customers will be able to deploy the appliances to either on-premises or cloud infrastructures, Infor said.
A whitepaper on the reference architecture will be made available within the next few weeks, said Ali Shadman, senior vice president of business cloud and Upgrade/S at Infor.
"This was a way to create the foundation for customers and partners to build virtual appliances," he said. "As we move forward we're going to create a hard offering around LN and other apps that are a good fit."
Infor is hoping to work with customers on the virtual appliances and will likely have packaged products out within six months, Shadman said.
It's planning to take whatever time it needs, however. "[ERP systems] run companies," he said. "We need to be very confident and sure of our steps."
The VMWare announcement follows a similar one Infor made with Red Hat in September.
Infor customers have expressed "high interest" in virtualization and virtual appliances, and many are already VMWare users, according to Shadman.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts