Sprint LTE wireless now reaches 43 markets
Carrier plans to expand to 125 cities
Computerworld - Sprint announced Monday it has activated faster LTE wireless service in 11 more cities and counties, reaching a total of 43 markets.
The new areas will continue to be expanded in the coming months. They are: Anderson, Muncie and South Bend, Ind.; Clarke County and Jefferson County, W.Va.; Harrisburg, Pa., area; Hagerstown, Md.;Peabody, Mass.; Salina, Kan.; and Harrisonburg, Shenandoah County and Winchester, Va.
On Nov. 13, Sprint announced LTE service in nine cities, including Minneapolis/St. Paul, after previously announcing it would expand LTE to 125 cities in total.
As the third largest U.S. wireless carrier, Sprint is also third in LTE rollouts. Verizon Wireless says it has reached more than 440 cities, while AT&T recently said it has LTE in 103 cities.
Downlink speeds on new LTE networks with few users can top out at 20 Mbps to 50 Mbps, but the average download is 8 Mbps to 12 Mbps on a crowded wireless connection.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Wireless Carriers in Computerworld's Wireless Carriers Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!