Sprint LTE wireless now reaches 43 markets
Carrier plans to expand to 125 cities
Computerworld - Sprint announced Monday it has activated faster LTE wireless service in 11 more cities and counties, reaching a total of 43 markets.
The new areas will continue to be expanded in the coming months. They are: Anderson, Muncie and South Bend, Ind.; Clarke County and Jefferson County, W.Va.; Harrisburg, Pa., area; Hagerstown, Md.;Peabody, Mass.; Salina, Kan.; and Harrisonburg, Shenandoah County and Winchester, Va.
On Nov. 13, Sprint announced LTE service in nine cities, including Minneapolis/St. Paul, after previously announcing it would expand LTE to 125 cities in total.
As the third largest U.S. wireless carrier, Sprint is also third in LTE rollouts. Verizon Wireless says it has reached more than 440 cities, while AT&T recently said it has LTE in 103 cities.
Downlink speeds on new LTE networks with few users can top out at 20 Mbps to 50 Mbps, but the average download is 8 Mbps to 12 Mbps on a crowded wireless connection.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Wireless Carriers in Computerworld's Wireless Carriers Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts