Sprint LTE wireless now reaches 43 markets
Carrier plans to expand to 125 cities
Computerworld - Sprint announced Monday it has activated faster LTE wireless service in 11 more cities and counties, reaching a total of 43 markets.
The new areas will continue to be expanded in the coming months. They are: Anderson, Muncie and South Bend, Ind.; Clarke County and Jefferson County, W.Va.; Harrisburg, Pa., area; Hagerstown, Md.;Peabody, Mass.; Salina, Kan.; and Harrisonburg, Shenandoah County and Winchester, Va.
On Nov. 13, Sprint announced LTE service in nine cities, including Minneapolis/St. Paul, after previously announcing it would expand LTE to 125 cities in total.
As the third largest U.S. wireless carrier, Sprint is also third in LTE rollouts. Verizon Wireless says it has reached more than 440 cities, while AT&T recently said it has LTE in 103 cities.
Downlink speeds on new LTE networks with few users can top out at 20 Mbps to 50 Mbps, but the average download is 8 Mbps to 12 Mbps on a crowded wireless connection.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Wireless Carriers in Computerworld's Wireless Carriers Topic Center.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!