Sprint LTE wireless now reaches 43 markets
Carrier plans to expand to 125 cities
Computerworld - Sprint announced Monday it has activated faster LTE wireless service in 11 more cities and counties, reaching a total of 43 markets.
The new areas will continue to be expanded in the coming months. They are: Anderson, Muncie and South Bend, Ind.; Clarke County and Jefferson County, W.Va.; Harrisburg, Pa., area; Hagerstown, Md.;Peabody, Mass.; Salina, Kan.; and Harrisonburg, Shenandoah County and Winchester, Va.
On Nov. 13, Sprint announced LTE service in nine cities, including Minneapolis/St. Paul, after previously announcing it would expand LTE to 125 cities in total.
As the third largest U.S. wireless carrier, Sprint is also third in LTE rollouts. Verizon Wireless says it has reached more than 440 cities, while AT&T recently said it has LTE in 103 cities.
Downlink speeds on new LTE networks with few users can top out at 20 Mbps to 50 Mbps, but the average download is 8 Mbps to 12 Mbps on a crowded wireless connection.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Wireless Carriers in Computerworld's Wireless Carriers Topic Center.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts