Apple asks court to add new Samsung products to patent suit
Apple alleges Samsung's latest products infringe on its patents
IDG News Service - Apple is seeking to add six Samsung products in a patent infringement lawsuit between the electronic giants scheduled to start in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in March 2014.
The motion, filed Friday, asked the court to add Samsung's Galaxy S III, the Galaxy Note II, the Galaxy Tab 8.9 Wi-Fi, the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, the Galaxy Rugby Pro -- all of which have been released in the last two months -- as well as the Galaxy S III Mini, which is due to be released soon in the U.S.
"In short, Apple has acted quickly and diligently to determine that these newly-released products do infringe many of the same claims already asserted by Apple and in the same way that the already accused devices infringe," the motion said.
Apple filed the suit against Samsung on Feb. 8. Samsung responded by filing a counterclaim in the same court, alleging that Apple violates feature patents and two UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System) patents.
Last week, the South Korean company filed a motion to add the iPad mini, the fourth-generation iPad, and the latest version of the iPod touch to its cross-complaint. The iPhone 5 has already been added to the counter claim.
On Aug. 24, a jury in the Northern California court found that Samsung infringed on Apple patents including those that covered multitouch software, hardware designs and application icon designs, awarding Apple over US$1 billion in damages.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts