Apple asks court to add new Samsung products to patent suit
Apple alleges Samsung's latest products infringe on its patents
IDG News Service - Apple is seeking to add six Samsung products in a patent infringement lawsuit between the electronic giants scheduled to start in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in March 2014.
The motion, filed Friday, asked the court to add Samsung's Galaxy S III, the Galaxy Note II, the Galaxy Tab 8.9 Wi-Fi, the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, the Galaxy Rugby Pro -- all of which have been released in the last two months -- as well as the Galaxy S III Mini, which is due to be released soon in the U.S.
"In short, Apple has acted quickly and diligently to determine that these newly-released products do infringe many of the same claims already asserted by Apple and in the same way that the already accused devices infringe," the motion said.
Apple filed the suit against Samsung on Feb. 8. Samsung responded by filing a counterclaim in the same court, alleging that Apple violates feature patents and two UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System) patents.
Last week, the South Korean company filed a motion to add the iPad mini, the fourth-generation iPad, and the latest version of the iPod touch to its cross-complaint. The iPhone 5 has already been added to the counter claim.
On Aug. 24, a jury in the Northern California court found that Samsung infringed on Apple patents including those that covered multitouch software, hardware designs and application icon designs, awarding Apple over US$1 billion in damages.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!