Apple asks court to add new Samsung products to patent suit
Apple alleges Samsung's latest products infringe on its patents
IDG News Service - Apple is seeking to add six Samsung products in a patent infringement lawsuit between the electronic giants scheduled to start in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in March 2014.
The motion, filed Friday, asked the court to add Samsung's Galaxy S III, the Galaxy Note II, the Galaxy Tab 8.9 Wi-Fi, the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, the Galaxy Rugby Pro -- all of which have been released in the last two months -- as well as the Galaxy S III Mini, which is due to be released soon in the U.S.
"In short, Apple has acted quickly and diligently to determine that these newly-released products do infringe many of the same claims already asserted by Apple and in the same way that the already accused devices infringe," the motion said.
Apple filed the suit against Samsung on Feb. 8. Samsung responded by filing a counterclaim in the same court, alleging that Apple violates feature patents and two UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System) patents.
Last week, the South Korean company filed a motion to add the iPad mini, the fourth-generation iPad, and the latest version of the iPod touch to its cross-complaint. The iPhone 5 has already been added to the counter claim.
On Aug. 24, a jury in the Northern California court found that Samsung infringed on Apple patents including those that covered multitouch software, hardware designs and application icon designs, awarding Apple over US$1 billion in damages.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup Checklist Read this checklist to learn how to create a back up strategy to quickly and easily protect your endpoint data.
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts