Apple discounts iPads, Mac laptops 8%-10% for 'Black Friday'
Leaves out iPad Mini from one-day sale
Computerworld - Apple today cut Mac laptop prices up to 10% and iPad prices as much as 9% during its typically tightfisted one-day "Black Friday" deals.
But some resellers again offered more aggressive discounts.
Apple's sale reduced Mac laptop prices by $101, a 10% cut on the entry-level 11-in. MacBook Air, which sold for $898 on Friday. The across-the-board $101 discount represented cuts of 7%-8% for 13-in. MacBook Airs and 5%-8% for MacBook Pros.
MacBook Pro laptops with high-resolution Retina displays, including the newer 13-in. model that debuted Oct. 23, were priced between 4% and 6% below list.
iMacs were not included in the deals because although Apple introduced new models a month ago, it has yet to offer the redesigned desktops for sale. The 21.5-in. iMacs are due to reach retail this month, and the 27-in. all-in-ones in December.
Analysts have called the iMac stumble -- Apple essentially stopped selling the popular desktops a month ago today -- "weird" and completely out of character for the detail-oriented company.
Nor did Apple discount its new 7.9-in. iPad Mini tablet today.
For the third year running, however, Apple cut prices of the 9.7-in. iPad, both the brand-new fourth-generation tablet and 2011's iPad 2.
Prices on the fourth-generation iPad were reduced between $41 and $61 depending on storage capacity, for discounts of between 8% and 9% on the Wi-Fi models. The iPad 2, which is available only in a 16GB configuration, got an even more meager $31 price cut to $368.
Apple's prices were good at both its online and brick-and-mortar stores throughout the day. Many of the latter opened at 6 a.m. local time in the U.S., several hours earlier than usual.
Rival online sellers, however, beat Apple's deals. Amazon.com, for example, cut the price of the 13-in. MacBook Air 15%, to $1,024.99, or $73 less than Apple, and the 13-in. MacBook Pro with Retina by $105, for a discount that's $4 more than Apple's.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
- Mac sales will again outstrip industry average
- Apple, IBM spell out enterprise support for iPhone, iPad
- Timeline: How Apple's iOS gained enterprise cred
- Apple and IBM: A winning combo for IT
- Why Microsoft isn't spooked by the Apple-IBM alliance
- Apple-IBM deal threatens Android's enterprise push
- IBM and Apple ties go way back
- Apple fashions 'brilliant' partnership with IBM for instant enterprise cred
- Why the Apple-IBM deal matters
- Update: Apple and IBM team up on 'historic' enterprise push
Read more about Retail in Computerworld's Retail Topic Center.
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- Software Asset Management: Pay Attention or Pay Up There is a wide range of options for managing software assets, from in-house solutions to the cloud to managed services providers. Read this...
- Are You Prepared for a Software Audit? Just the word "audit" is enough to make anyone shiver, and when it comes to a software audit, the reaction is no different....
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All Retail White Papers | Webcasts