Google adds indoor maps for iPhone, iPad and other Web users
About 10,000 floor plans can now be accessed via a browser
IDG News Service - Google has added indoor floor plans to the Web version of its Maps service, allowing any device with a browser to show the way in airports, rail stations, shopping malls and museums in nine countries.
The indoor maps have previously been available on the Google Maps application for Android, but the addition of the Web interface means they can be accessed on Apple's iPad and other devices not running Google's OS.
About 10,000 floor plans of places in Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Japan, Sweden, Switzerland, the U.K. and the U.S. are available. Famous ones include the Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris, the Wembley Stadium in London and Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, according to a list published by Google.
Users can zoom in on a building on Google Maps and see a floor plan with labels for gates at airports, stores within a mall, departments within a retail shop, as well as ATMs, restrooms and more, according to Google.
Venue owners interested in adding their locations can use the Google Maps Floor Plan tool, which is still only available in a beta version, to upload a map. Google is still working out the kinks in how incoming floor plans are processed, so the company can't give estimates on how long it will take for new plans to appear, it said.
A lot has been happening in mapping and navigation sector lately, including this week's launch of Nokia's Here application for iOS, which will compete with Apple's own service.
Whether Google too will launch an app for iOS remains to be seen. But a report this week suggests that the company is close to doing so, and has started distributing a test version.
Vendors are showing a growing interest in offering not just indoor maps but indoor navigation, as well. Cisco Systems and Qualcomm announced a partnership last week to combine technology from both companies to improve the accuracy of such services.
Finding out where you are in a mall or a sports arena using a smartphone is difficult today because GPS coverage usually isn't available.
Qualcomm is also a member of the In-Location Alliance, which will also work to improve the accuracy of indoor positioning using Bluetooth 4.0 and Wi-Fi. Other members of the group include Nokia, Samsung Electronics and Sony.
Google has its own plans. The Maps Floor Plan Marker app, which shows users their location more accurately within indoor venues, can be downloaded from the Play store.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Chrome users attack Google for zapping unsanctioned Windows add-ons
- Google postpones add-on 'kill switch' for Chrome on Windows
- Google yanks option to restore Chrome's old-style new tab page, riles users all over again
- Google's 3D tech could be boon to Glass, robots and virtual reality
- Google bots are coming!
- Antitrust deal leaves Google unscathed
- Google agrees to give equal prominence to rivals' services to settle EU antitrust case
- Lenovo-Moto deal's impact on Apple? Zip
- With Motorola sold, Google can focus on robots, Glass and smart homes
- Google is developing a smart contact lens
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Accelerating Network Convergence in Virtualized and Cloud Data Centers Adopting a converged networking strategy enables organizations to traffic server and storage I/O workloads on consolidated data throughput channels. Intelligent software helps optimize...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts