HP may offer free analytics service with Autonomy technology
HP is considering a free 'Google-like' service based on Autonomy's IDOL technology
IDG News Service - While it continues to wrestle with an accounting scandal at its Autonomy business unit, Hewlett-Packard has revealed it may use some of the company's technology to offer a free online analytics service.
The service would be based on Autonomy's IDOL (Intelligent Data Operating Layer) technology, used to process and analyze large amounts of structured and unstructured data, such as images, audio and video clips, to uncover patterns and trends.
HP has shown how the technology can be used to analyze content from news broadcasts and social networking streams to see, more or less in real time, what people are talking about and how they feel about those topics, although it also has many other uses.
HP mentioned the idea of a free service during a webcast it held for customers on Wednesday to assure them it plans to keep investing in the Autonomy product line. A day earlier, HP said it would take a massive accounting charge due to alleged fraud that inflated Autonomy's value before it bought the company.
One customer asked if HP could make IDOL available to researchers, on a philanthropic basis, for use in areas such as the life sciences and weather forecasting.
"One area we're thinking about is delivering IDOL as a free service in specific areas, similar to the way you go to Google today and do a search. You'll be able to go to a website with an IDOL feature where people can go and do some basic searches, with some basic unstructured data management around it," George Kadifa, the executive vice president in charge of HP software, said on the webcast.
"Some of our deep technologists want to do that because it broadens the concept of IDOL, not just across life sciences and social issues, but it provides ... an element of social responsibility and value that we want to provide in the marketplace," he said.
HP is still "very early in the process" of thinking about this, he emphasized.
Indeed, HP probably has other priorities on its mind at the moment. It has asked the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the U.K.'s Serious Fraud office to investigate "serious accounting improprieties" that it says inflated the value of Autonomy before it bought the company.
It also has work to do in deciding on a road map for Autonomy's more than 50 products, and in integrating some of the technology with HP's own software.
Still, Whitman suggested she is open to the customer's idea. "I share your vision of what IDOL should do," she said.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts