HP may offer free analytics service with Autonomy technology
HP is considering a free 'Google-like' service based on Autonomy's IDOL technology
IDG News Service - While it continues to wrestle with an accounting scandal at its Autonomy business unit, Hewlett-Packard has revealed it may use some of the company's technology to offer a free online analytics service.
The service would be based on Autonomy's IDOL (Intelligent Data Operating Layer) technology, used to process and analyze large amounts of structured and unstructured data, such as images, audio and video clips, to uncover patterns and trends.
HP has shown how the technology can be used to analyze content from news broadcasts and social networking streams to see, more or less in real time, what people are talking about and how they feel about those topics, although it also has many other uses.
HP mentioned the idea of a free service during a webcast it held for customers on Wednesday to assure them it plans to keep investing in the Autonomy product line. A day earlier, HP said it would take a massive accounting charge due to alleged fraud that inflated Autonomy's value before it bought the company.
One customer asked if HP could make IDOL available to researchers, on a philanthropic basis, for use in areas such as the life sciences and weather forecasting.
"One area we're thinking about is delivering IDOL as a free service in specific areas, similar to the way you go to Google today and do a search. You'll be able to go to a website with an IDOL feature where people can go and do some basic searches, with some basic unstructured data management around it," George Kadifa, the executive vice president in charge of HP software, said on the webcast.
"Some of our deep technologists want to do that because it broadens the concept of IDOL, not just across life sciences and social issues, but it provides ... an element of social responsibility and value that we want to provide in the marketplace," he said.
HP is still "very early in the process" of thinking about this, he emphasized.
Indeed, HP probably has other priorities on its mind at the moment. It has asked the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the U.K.'s Serious Fraud office to investigate "serious accounting improprieties" that it says inflated the value of Autonomy before it bought the company.
It also has work to do in deciding on a road map for Autonomy's more than 50 products, and in integrating some of the technology with HP's own software.
Still, Whitman suggested she is open to the customer's idea. "I share your vision of what IDOL should do," she said.
- CIOs strive to harness Big Data while keeping an eye on the bottom line Read this whitepaper to learn how Red Hat Storage Server allows CIOs to confidently support business growth, manage cost and risk, capitalize on...
- Enterprise architects challenged to manage data explosion Read this whitepaper to find out how Red Hat Storage Server can allow enterprises to quickly and confidently deliver business applications that minimize...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- Live Webcast Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Capturing Data in Motion: Delivering Real-Time Insight from Data Streams This webcast will help organizations of all types and sizes learn about a technology and business strategy for tapping into the wealth of... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!