Lenovo poised to top smartphone market in China by 2013
Garner predicts that Lenovo will become China's largest smartphone vendor next year
IDG News Service - Lenovo, already China's top PC seller, is expected to take the title for the country's top smartphone vendor in 2013, Gartner said.
It made the prediction as Lenovo's swift growth in China's smartphone market has exceeded the research firm's projections. Two years ago, Lenovo started selling smartphones in the country to take advantage of the booming mobile market. In last year's third quarter, the company had a 1.7 percent share of the market, according to Gartner.
A year later, the company was ranked second in China's smartphone market for the third quarter, with a 14.8 percent share. This put it right behind Samsung, which had a 16.7 percent share.
"We know that Lenovo is one of the strongest local companies in China," said Gartner analyst Sandy Shen on Wednesday. "But we just didn't expect the change to come so fast... We thought it would take them several years to grow their business in mobile devices."
As a result of its strong PC business in China, Lenovo already benefits from a vast retail distribution network in the country, and a well recognized brand name, both of which have helped drive its smartphone sales, Shen said.
But Lenovo's growth also comes as Chinese handset vendors are dominating sales of low-end handsets. These devices can be priced as a low as $63 when bought without a contract, according to Shen.
"(Lenovo) has a good product portfolio, from the low-end to the high-end, and their products are reasonably priced," Shen said. "We think Lenovo will depend on the low-end market to sell handsets, so it will allow Lenovo to obtain a much larger share."
Foreign vendors on other hand, such as Samsung and Apple, while popular, are selling devices at higher prices, which puts a limit on their smartphone shipments in the country, she added.
Despite the positive outlook for Lenovo's smartphone business in China, Shen said it will be a challenge for the company to maintain its position in the market.
"They may be able to obtain the number one position, but the question is how long will they hold the position, or will they just be dethroned by another company," she said.
"If you see the latest products from all these companies, they all look quite similar," Shen said, pointing to the many smartphones now offering high-definition screens, with fast dual-core or quad-core processors. "I think the challenge is how Lenovo can have a good differentiator in its hardware brand."
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Considerations for Embracing Wireless Monitoring Employee behavior is once again driving major changes for IT departments - this time it's BYOD. This report details three critical steps to...
- Fixing Intermittent Performance Problems Intermittent performance problems are among the most frustrating and time-consuming issues IT administrators face. Read this white paper and learn how technology advances...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!