AT&T iPad hacker plans to appeal felony conviction
Andrew Auernheimer found a problem in AT&T's servers that linked iPad users' email addresses with SIM card serial numbers
IDG News Service - A man who exposed a major privacy weakness that divulged email addresses of iPad users on AT&T's network plans to appeal his conviction on two felony charges.
Andrew Auernheimer, also known as "weev," used an automated scripting tool called the "iPad 3G Account Slurper" to pull the names and email addresses of 120,000 iPad 3G owners from AT&T's servers in June 2010. The company had linked the Integrated Circuit Card ID (ICC-ID), a serial number on the SIM card of an iPad with cellular connectivity, with the user's email address.
The U.S. District Court in New Jersey convicted Auernheimer on Tuesday of conspiracy to access a computer without authorization and fraud in connection with personal information. He could face up to 10 years in prison. Efforts to reach Auernheimer were not immediately successful.
Auernheimer wrote on Twitter that the verdict was expected. "I'm appealing of course," he wrote.
Auernheimer maintained he was helping AT&T with its security, but the company claimed nobody from Auernheimer's hacking group, known as Goatse Security, contacted it about the problem.
The email addresses, which included those belonging to New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, former White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel and top executives at Dow Jones, The New York Times Co. and Time Warner, were passed on to the online news site Gawker.
A co-defendant, Daniel Spitler, pleaded guilty to similar charges in June 2011.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5
- This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Oracle and VCE: The Next Step in Integrated Computing Platforms
- In this ESG Lab review you will learn how a VCE system driven by Oracle, delivers the perfect blend of high performance and...
- Migrate Oracle Apps from RISC/UNIX to Virtualized x86
- Ready to move Oracle to a virtualized environment? This brief explains how true converged infrastructure can help you migrate from a RISC/UNIX environment...
- Step Out of the Bull's-Eye
- Learn about the evolution of targeted attacks, the latest in security intelligence, and strategic steps to keep your business safe. All Government IT White Papers
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- All Government IT Webcasts