Windows Server 2012 now runs in Amazon's cloud
Administrators can take advantage of improved management features using PowerShell
IDG News Service - Enterprises can now run Windows Server 2012 on the Amazon Web Services cloud, and take advantage of improved management features and new versions of IIS and the .Net framework.
AWS isn't the only provider whose cloud can run Microsoft's new server operating system. The OS can already be installed on Microsoft's own Azure cloud and Rackspace also offers a number of different configurations on its platform.
The operating system is available in AWS data centers around the world, and enterprises can choose between 31 Windows Server 2012 virtual images. They support 19 different languages and have been prepackaged with SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2, Tom Rizzo, general manager for the Windows team at AWS, wrote in a blog post on Tuesday.
Windows Server 2012 became generally available in September, and includes the Internet Information Services (IIS) 8.0 web server, version 4.5 of the .Net framework and improved management using PowerShell.
With Windows PowerShell 3.0 administrators can for the first time handle any management task using the command line interface, and in the process save time by automating more and more tasks, according to Microsoft.
To help users get started, AWS has posted a video showing how to configure a Windows Server 2012.
Enterprises can also use Windows Server 2012 with Elastic Beanstalk, which AWS is pitching as an easier way to deploy and manage applications.
Developers upload their ASP.NET applications to the AWS cloud, and Elastic Beanstalk automatically takes care of deployment details such as capacity provisioning, load balancing, auto-scaling and application health monitoring, according to the company.
Elastic Beanstalk is still being beta tested.
Windows Server 2012 is also included in the so-called free tier of AWS services, which allows new customers to run the OS and other services for free for up to a year. Enterprises can start evaluating Windows Server 2012 and then move to a production environment when they are ready, according to Rizzo.
Running Windows Server on the AWS cloud costs from $0.02 per hour with the company's on-demand pricing.
Previously, AWS users could choose between Windows Server 2003 R2, 2008 and 2008 R2. They are still available alongside Windows Server 2012.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Meeting Changing Information Management Needs with Next-Generation Email Archiving Learn more about the ever-changing landscape of next-generation email archiving and gain insight about information management needs in this Info-Tech whitepaper.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Oracle Fusion Financials Cloud Service Modern organizations are under intense pressure to provide accurate, reliable, and speedy financial information to business decision-makers. Furthermore, complying with global standards has...
- Cloud for Business Managers in Midsize Organizations: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly Read this independent research report to learn how business managers around the world are using Cloud applications.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts