WD releases 4TB version of high-performance drive
New dual processor in WD black, designed for gamers and enthusiasts, has twice the performance of its predecessor
Computerworld - Western Digital today released a 4TB version of its highest performance desktop drive, the WD Black.
The new drive has twice the available capacity and its dual processor has double performance of its predecessor. The 4TB WD Black is a 3.5-inch, 7200rpm drive with 64MB of cache and a SATA 6Gbps interface.
The areal density of the new WD Black 4TB hard drive is 800GB per platter. The drive also comes in 500TB, 1TB, and 2TB capacities. Lower-capacity models also come with 32MB versus 64MB of cache.
"The fast performance and extreme capacity of the award-winning WD Black drives make them perfect for gaming, high-performance desktop systems and workstations," WD stated in its news release.
The WD Black 4 TB GB (model WD4001FAEX) hard drives are available through select distributors and resellers with a suggested retail price of $339.00.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Storage Hardware in Computerworld's Storage Hardware Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- VCE Converged Infrastructure Enables Continuous Operation for Swiss Power Plant Read how Vblock™ Systems, running in active-active mode, enabled KKL to transform its twin data centers in just two months, enable continuous operations,...
- The Future of IT: A Customer First Approach Explore how customer-first policies can make use of social, mobile and cloud technologies to give workers the freedom and flexibility they desire to...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts