WD releases 4TB version of high-performance drive
New dual processor in WD black, designed for gamers and enthusiasts, has twice the performance of its predecessor
Computerworld - Western Digital today released a 4TB version of its highest performance desktop drive, the WD Black.
The new drive has twice the available capacity and its dual processor has double performance of its predecessor. The 4TB WD Black is a 3.5-inch, 7200rpm drive with 64MB of cache and a SATA 6Gbps interface.
The areal density of the new WD Black 4TB hard drive is 800GB per platter. The drive also comes in 500TB, 1TB, and 2TB capacities. Lower-capacity models also come with 32MB versus 64MB of cache.
"The fast performance and extreme capacity of the award-winning WD Black drives make them perfect for gaming, high-performance desktop systems and workstations," WD stated in its news release.
The WD Black 4 TB GB (model WD4001FAEX) hard drives are available through select distributors and resellers with a suggested retail price of $339.00.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Storage Hardware in Computerworld's Storage Hardware Topic Center.
- Top Five Reasons Why Customers Deploy a Flash 1st Strategy on EMC VNX Storage Read why with a FLASH 1st strategy, customers don't need to compromise between performance and TCO.
- Analyst: EMC's FLASH 1st Strategy Gain insight from analyst ESG on Flash storage and how the logic and value behind EMC's strategy for Flash.
- IBM FlashSystem At-a-Glance The IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution accelerates applications with enterprise-class advanced storage capabilities for less than the cost of disk.
- Top Reasons for Upgrading to Emulex Gen 5 Fibre Channel HBAs With Gen 5 Fibre Channel HBAs you can run more virtual machines and applications per server, cut your HBA installation and management time...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Storage Hardware White Papers | Webcasts