HP becomes platinum member of Linux Foundation
With a $500,000 investment, HP joins Samsung and others with a seat on the Linux Foundation's board of directors.
PC World - HP has long been a contributor to Linux and open-source software, but on Monday it ratcheted up its support another notch.
Specifically, the company announced at the LinuxCon Europe event going on this week in Barcelona that it has made the $500,000 investment necessary to become a platinum member of the Linux Foundation, upgrading from the gold membership it held previously.
The nonprofit Linux Foundation's other platinum members are Fujitsu, IBM, Intel, NEC, Qualcomm, Oracle and -- most recently -- Samsung. Twitter, Broadcom and Nvidia are other big-name additions to the consortium's roster of members in recent months.
HP will now have a seat on the Linux Foundation's board of directors and will be directly involved in advancing Linux-based initiatives, workgroups, events, and other efforts.
'A strategic asset'
Now, however, it's clear HP's Linux-related plans don't stop there.
Linux is a strategic asset for all major technology companies, said Eileen Evans, HP's vice president and associate general counsel for cloud computing and open source. With our Linux Foundation Platinum membership, we will have a variety of ways to maximize our investment in Linux and collaborative development that advances our own business as well as greater industry innovation.
Support in the cloud
It's been an exciting year watching all the new additions to the Linux Foundation's ranks of some 150 members.
Also this week at LinuxCon Europe, the consortium gained Cloudscaling, CloudSigma, Cloudsoft and DreamHost as new members; cloud vendor Citrix, meanwhile, upgraded to a gold membership in the foundation.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Rethinking Backup and Recovery As enterprises continue to transform their data centers, and virtualization plays an increasing role in their IT infrastructures, the way data is backed...
- Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed in recent years, and it continues to escalate.
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.