Baidu offers free cloud storage to Qualcomm chip-based devices
In September, Baidu declared China's mobile Internet space as its main focus for further growth
IDG News Service - China's largest search engine Baidu said on Monday the company would provide 30GB of free cloud storage to Android devices built with certain Qualcomm chips, in what's the latest move by the company to carve out a presence in the country's mobile services sector.
Baidu's limited-time offer applies in China to two of Qualcomm's latest chips, the Snapdragon S4 MSM 8x25 processor, and the Snapdragon S4 MSM 8x25Q processor. Users activating Baidu's cloud service will receive 15GB of free cloud storage over the device's lifetime, and an additional 15GB of storage free for one year.
Beginning Monday phones containing the chips, from Chinese manufacturers including Lenovo and Huawei, will ship with the free Baidu cloud storage enabled as a result of the partnership with Qualcomm.
Baidu is offering the free storage after the company in September declared China's mobile Internet space as its next major focus, and announced a $1.6 billion investment to build a new cloud computing center.
The company is best known as the leader of China's PC-based search market, where it bested rival Google. But in the country's mobile Internet market, Baidu has yet to achieve the same level of dominance as competition among rivals remains fierce.
Already, Baidu has a major foothold among China's smartphone users by pre-installing its Baidu search on Android phones and Apple devices sold in the country. It's also partnered with companies including Dell to launch three handsets in the country installed with its "Baidu Cloud" platform, which features Baidu apps such as its map services, online browser, music and others.
Monday's partnership with Qualcomm only involves bringing Baidu's cloud storage to Android devices, said Baidu spokesman Kaiser Kuo. But in the coming weeks and months, the company plans to announce more partnerships with handset vendors to launch smartphones in China using its Baidu Cloud platform, he added.
- The Cloud BI that IT and Developers Demand Jaspersoft for AWS allows developers and IT professionals to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics...
- Cloud BI Demo: Jaspersoft for AWS Watch a 5-minute overview demo of Jaspersoft for AWS and see how to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as...
- The business impact of BYOA: Five major challenges and how your enterprise can solve them This E-Book reviews five major challenges of BYOA with key subject matter experts and outlines how businesses can solve them.
- The BYOA Opportunity Visual demonstration of problems that unmonitored, employee-introduced cloud apps can cause a business, and why IT managers need a solution to help and...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts