Apple to kill Messages beta for OS X Lion next month
Tells customers to upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion if they want to continue using the chat-and-texting service after Dec. 14
Computerworld - Apple has told Mac owners running OS X Lion that the beta of Messages, its replacement for both the older iChat instant messaging service and SMS (short message service) texting, will expire Dec. 14.
To keep using the service, customers must upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion. Emails announcing the shutoff began reaching Lion users last week.
Apple introduced a beta of Messages for Lion in February alongside the surprise release of a developer preview of OS X Mountain Lion. The latter went on sale in July for $19.99, a third less than its two predecessors.
Mountain Lion includes Messages, as well as several other features and services that debuted on iOS, Apple's mobile operating system that powers the iPhone and iPad.
Apple pulled the download of the Messages beta for Lion in mid-June, when at its annual developers conference company executives revealed more information about Mountain Lion, including its price and a July ship date. Lion users, however, could still run Messages if they had already installed the beta.
But Messages' future is under a patent cloud: Last Tuesday, VirnetX both won a $368 million jury verdict against Apple in a patent infringement case and filed a follow-up lawsuit alleging violations by new Apple products, including Mountain Lion.
The case that was decided last week and the new suit both cited FaceTime and Messages, Apple's video chat application and SMS text-replacement, respectively, as infringing four VirnetX patents.
According to Web metrics company Net Applications, OS X Mountain Lion has grabbed approximately 26% of the Mac operating system usage base since its July roll-out.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
- Mountain Lion mauls other OS X editions for top spot
- Apple consistently convinces customers to upgrade OS X
- Apple to kill Messages beta for OS X Lion next month
- OS X Mountain Lion's torrid upgrade pace cools
- Apple rolls out iOS 6, upgrades Mountain Lion
- OS X Mountain Lion grabs 20% share of all Macs
- Apple's Mountain Lion clears 10% bar, now runs 1 in 10 Macs
- Macs at risk from 'super dangerous' Java zero-day
- Mac laptop owners report shortened battery life after Mountain Lion upgrade
- Mac users left wondering if OS X Snow Leopard's retired
Read more about Mac OS X in Computerworld's Mac OS X Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts