Apple to kill Messages beta for OS X Lion next month
Tells customers to upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion if they want to continue using the chat-and-texting service after Dec. 14
Computerworld - Apple has told Mac owners running OS X Lion that the beta of Messages, its replacement for both the older iChat instant messaging service and SMS (short message service) texting, will expire Dec. 14.
To keep using the service, customers must upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion. Emails announcing the shutoff began reaching Lion users last week.
Apple introduced a beta of Messages for Lion in February alongside the surprise release of a developer preview of OS X Mountain Lion. The latter went on sale in July for $19.99, a third less than its two predecessors.
Mountain Lion includes Messages, as well as several other features and services that debuted on iOS, Apple's mobile operating system that powers the iPhone and iPad.
Apple pulled the download of the Messages beta for Lion in mid-June, when at its annual developers conference company executives revealed more information about Mountain Lion, including its price and a July ship date. Lion users, however, could still run Messages if they had already installed the beta.
But Messages' future is under a patent cloud: Last Tuesday, VirnetX both won a $368 million jury verdict against Apple in a patent infringement case and filed a follow-up lawsuit alleging violations by new Apple products, including Mountain Lion.
The case that was decided last week and the new suit both cited FaceTime and Messages, Apple's video chat application and SMS text-replacement, respectively, as infringing four VirnetX patents.
According to Web metrics company Net Applications, OS X Mountain Lion has grabbed approximately 26% of the Mac operating system usage base since its July roll-out.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
- Mountain Lion mauls other OS X editions for top spot
- Apple consistently convinces customers to upgrade OS X
- Apple to kill Messages beta for OS X Lion next month
- OS X Mountain Lion's torrid upgrade pace cools
- Apple rolls out iOS 6, upgrades Mountain Lion
- OS X Mountain Lion grabs 20% share of all Macs
- Apple's Mountain Lion clears 10% bar, now runs 1 in 10 Macs
- Macs at risk from 'super dangerous' Java zero-day
- Mac laptop owners report shortened battery life after Mountain Lion upgrade
- Mac users left wondering if OS X Snow Leopard's retired
Read more about Mac OS X in Computerworld's Mac OS X Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Mac OS X White Papers | Webcasts