AT&T plans to spend $14B over three years on wired, wireless upgrades
Computerworld - Over the next three years, AT&T plans to spend $14 billion on capital improvements to its wired and wireless networks, including an expansion of 4G LTE service to 300 million people by the end of 2014.
The carrier said that its wireless investments will add up to $8 billion, and its outlays for wired technology will total $6 billion.
AT&T previously said that its LTE network would reach 250 million people nationwide by the end of 2013. To hit that goal, it plans to buy more wireless spectrum for its LTE service. In the 22 states where it offers wired voice and data services, AT&T plans to have its LTE network cover 99% of all customer locations.
The carrier also plans to deploy small-cell technology, macro cells and distributed antenna systems to improve the quality of its wireless service.
The initiative, called Project Velocity IP (or Project VIP), is part of the company's plan to spend $22 billion per year on capital improvements over the next three years.
On the wired side, AT&T said it will expand its U-Verse system for broadband Internet, adding 8.5 million customer locations for a total of 33 million. Also, U-Verse speeds will be improved to up to 75Mbps.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Data Center in Computerworld's Data Center Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
- Oracle ERP Cloud Service - Back-Office Solutions that Keep You in Front Learn how you can harness the power of the cloud to run your business more effectively and lower upfront costs.
- Integration with Oracle Fusion Financials Cloud Service While moving your financial system to the cloud may seem straightforward, truly realizing the advantages of the cloud requires a complete understanding how...
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts