AT&T plans to spend $14B over three years on wired, wireless upgrades
Computerworld - Over the next three years, AT&T plans to spend $14 billion on capital improvements to its wired and wireless networks, including an expansion of 4G LTE service to 300 million people by the end of 2014.
The carrier said that its wireless investments will add up to $8 billion, and its outlays for wired technology will total $6 billion.
AT&T previously said that its LTE network would reach 250 million people nationwide by the end of 2013. To hit that goal, it plans to buy more wireless spectrum for its LTE service. In the 22 states where it offers wired voice and data services, AT&T plans to have its LTE network cover 99% of all customer locations.
The carrier also plans to deploy small-cell technology, macro cells and distributed antenna systems to improve the quality of its wireless service.
The initiative, called Project Velocity IP (or Project VIP), is part of the company's plan to spend $22 billion per year on capital improvements over the next three years.
On the wired side, AT&T said it will expand its U-Verse system for broadband Internet, adding 8.5 million customer locations for a total of 33 million. Also, U-Verse speeds will be improved to up to 75Mbps.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Data Center in Computerworld's Data Center Topic Center.
- Start with a Data Lake. End with Business Value. Pivotal Big Data Suite enables companies to store all data, accelerate processing and most importantly increase the amount of data being analyzed and...
- A Survival Guide for Data in the Wild All corporate data used to reside in the data center. Safe and sound behind the corporate firewall. But now, employees have multiple devices...
- Top 10 Endpoint Backup Mistakes When considering endpoint backup options, be sure you're making the right decisions. Protecting data on endpoints has become more challenging because of recent...
- Energy Efficient Servers Supermicro at Work. View Now>>
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!