AT&T plans to spend $14B over three years on wired, wireless upgrades
Computerworld - Over the next three years, AT&T plans to spend $14 billion on capital improvements to its wired and wireless networks, including an expansion of 4G LTE service to 300 million people by the end of 2014.
The carrier said that its wireless investments will add up to $8 billion, and its outlays for wired technology will total $6 billion.
AT&T previously said that its LTE network would reach 250 million people nationwide by the end of 2013. To hit that goal, it plans to buy more wireless spectrum for its LTE service. In the 22 states where it offers wired voice and data services, AT&T plans to have its LTE network cover 99% of all customer locations.
The carrier also plans to deploy small-cell technology, macro cells and distributed antenna systems to improve the quality of its wireless service.
The initiative, called Project Velocity IP (or Project VIP), is part of the company's plan to spend $22 billion per year on capital improvements over the next three years.
On the wired side, AT&T said it will expand its U-Verse system for broadband Internet, adding 8.5 million customer locations for a total of 33 million. Also, U-Verse speeds will be improved to up to 75Mbps.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Data Center in Computerworld's Data Center Topic Center.
- 5 Ways Dropbox for Business Keeps Your Data Protected Protecting your data isn't a feature on a checklist, something to be tacked on as an afterthought. Download here to find out how...
- Evaluating File Sync and Share Solutions: 12 Questions to Ask about Security File sync and share can increase productivity, but how do you pick a solution that works for you? Download to learn some important...
The Wall Street Journal: CIO Journal
Article describes how cloud ITSM:
* Reduces drain on IT, increased response time
* Eliminates roadblocks to completion
* Enables IT to deliver...
- Datacenter eGuide Read on to learn what technologies are essential for high-performing data centers today, and to get a glimpse of what the data center...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!