Apple's iPad shipments for China nearly double, after trademark dispute
Apple iPad shipments for the third quarter reached 2.07 million units
IDG News Service - Apple's iPad shipments for China nearly doubled in the third quarter, after Apple settled in July a lengthy dispute over the iPad trademark name that once threatened to ban the device from store shelves in the country.
Shipments of the tablet in the third quarter reached 2.07 million units, up from 1.15 million in the previous quarter, according to Dickie Chang, an analyst with research firm IDC. He attributed the shipment growth to Apple finally gaining ownership of the iPad trademark in China, which cleared the way for sales of the new product.
Apple's third-generation iPad went on sale in China on July 20, four months after it was made available in the U.S. The launch was delayed as Apple got embroiled in a legal battle with Chinese firm Proview, which had registered for the "IPAD" trademark in China years before.
Proview had wanted Apple to pay as much as $400 million for the trademark, and had called on authorities to ban iPad sales in the country. Finally, in early July, the two companies settled the dispute, with Apple paying $60 million to obtain the trademark from Proview.
The growth in iPad shipments further cements Apple's dominance of China's tablet market. After Apple, the next largest vendor is Lenovo, which shipped only 278,000 tablets in the third quarter. Samsung, the country's third top tablet vendor, moved 143,000 units.
Globally, Apple said iPad sales reached 14 million in the third quarter, a year-over-year increase of 26%. But in terms of worldwide market share, Apple's iPad fell to 50.4%, as shipments for Android tablets from Samsung and Amazon grew, according to research firm IDC.
Apple, however, will likely see better tablet sales in the fourth quarter, with the launching of its iPad mini and fourth generation iPad, said IDC.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts