Online holiday shopping at work may be huge drain on time, bandwidth
A recent study by eMarketer showed that U.S. online shoppers are expected to spend $54.47 billion this holiday season. That's up 16.8% from $46.63 billion spent online last year.
So what's an IT manager to do?
First corporate executives need to set up policies about what is acceptable for workers to do online while they're on the clock or while they're using the company network at any time. Then they need to educate employees about those policies and set up technology to monitor the network.
They also need to know what the penalty will be if workers break the rules.
However, Ezra Gottheil, an analyst with Technology Business Research, said IT managers need to take a breath and relax. This just isn't something to get that worked up about.
"I don't think it is worth worrying about," he said. "The potential for abuse is much smaller than other things, like social networking or even pornography. It's seasonal. Why be a Scrooge?"
Gottheil pointed out that so many employees are doing work on their personal time that it's not really fair to begrudge them of doing some personal errands on work time.
"If you do your job well, you should have some flexibility about your time, within reasonable limits," he added. "I prefer to manage productivity, and not try to control people."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Staff Management in Computerworld's Staff Management Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IBM CHRO Study: Working Beyond Borders Based on the key capability gaps revealed in this study, we believe organizations should focus on three critical workforce imperatives: cultivating creative leaders,...
- Onboarding 2013 - A New Look at New Hires This study of 230 organizations, conducted in January and February 2013, will explore the best practices organizations use to leverage world-class technology to...
- Building a Smarter Workforce in Today's Global Economy In this report, we discuss how new approaches and a new science of human resources have emerged to develop a "smarter workforce," resetting...
- Recruit, Hire and Onboard the Right Talent In this report, we discuss strategies for how organizations can perform optimally and compete successfully by hiring and onboarding the best talent the...
- Creating a Smarter Workforce for Market Leadership IBM executives, clients and industry experts will discuss how leading companies are building a smarter workforce and why it is key to an...
- Secrets to Corporate Communications Success Watch this 60-minute webinar to discover how how other companies are successfully creating advocates out of their employees and help them to better... All Staff Management White Papers | Webcasts