Online holiday shopping at work may be huge drain on time, bandwidth
With the official start of the holidays upon us, what are you workers really doing?
Computerworld - With Black Friday just a week away and the nagging feeling that we need to get our holiday shopping done, how much online buying will be done at work?
If it's not, this is the question that should be on IT managers' minds, according to some industry analysts. If workers are busy buying iPad tablets on sites like Apple.com, or scarves on LLBean.com or Amazon.com, employee productivity could plummet as fast as winter temperatures.
That's not to mention what all that holiday shopping during office hours could mean for office bandwidth.
"We know it's going to happen. I think it's unavoidable," said Jim Melvin, president and CEO of AppNeta, a performance management company based in Boston. "We take our work home with us and we take our lives into work. If it's my laptop and I'm at work and I'm having a coffee break, I'm going to get my shopping done. We're seeing more and more of this blending of work and home life."
That blending, said Melvin and industry analysts, is exacerbated by the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) trend.
With workers using their own smartphones and tablets for work, they are feeling more free to use them to check off items on their holiday shopping lists during work hours. After all, they figure they can do what they want on their own device.
The issue, though, is that they're using the company network and, often, they're shopping on company time.
"I'm sure in my company it's only on their coffee break but outside of my company I think people are shopping when the mood strikes them," Melvin joked. "There's no question that bring your own device accentuates people's tendency for shopping while they're at work."
Frank Gillett, an analyst with Forrester, said there's a definite blurring of lines between work and personal life that affects what people do during office hours, and shopping is no exception.
"Face it, we're more connected," said Gillett. "There's simply more opportunity out there for people to try to figure out how to juggle your work/life balance.
Another factor affecting how much online shopping people will do at work is the fact that shoppers are expected to do a lot more of their holiday buying online this year.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!