Apple faces EU-wide probes into misleading warranty practices
Justice Commissioner asks member states to examine Apple's selling tactics
IDG News Service - Apple's warranty offerings could be pulled in the European Union in the wake of inquiries the E.U. Justice Commissioner is making into possible misleading sales practices, also known as misselling.
On Tuesday the international tech giant announced that it had stopped selling AppleCare in Italy as of Nov. 9. Earlier this year, the company was handed a $1.15 million fine by the Italian Antitrust Authority for not providing consumers with information regarding their E.U.-protected warranty rights and instead pushing their own paid-for warranty, AppleCare.
Now it has emerged that Commissioner Viviane Reding wrote to all 27 E.U. countries on Sept. 21, asking them to "examine closely Apple's advertising of product warranty practices" for any similar misleading behavior.
In Italy, Apple was warned for not putting E.U. mandates on its retail packaging. A disclaimer was finally added to the boxes following an unsuccessful appeal of the ruling in March.
Reding's office confirmed that she has received complaints from consumer organizations in 11 member states (Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia and Spain) as well as several members of the European Parliament.
Under E.U. consumer law, buyers are automatically entitled to a free minimum two-year warranty. Different sanctions exist in E.U. countries for violations of consumer protection law -- for example fines, as in the case of Italy.
The Unfair Commercial Practices Directive states in part that, "member states shall lay down penalties for infringements of national provisions adopted in application of this Directive and shall take all necessary measures to ensure that these are enforced. These penalties must be effective, proportionate and dissuasive."
In Italy, Apple appears to have been so "dissuaded" that it has withdrawn the product altogether -- although it is still available to buy online.
Apple said its one-year AppleCare service is superior to the E.U.-required two-year warranty as it includes three months' telephone support and covers defects that arise after delivery, but customers may not feel the same.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
If you use ‘password,’ one the worst passwords, as your password, fail to keep antivirus protection updated and don’t bother to deploy security patches to close critical vulnerabilities, then maybe you should consider working for the cybersecurity-clueless federal government; you’d fit right in, according to Senator Tom Coburn's cybersecurity and critical infrastructure report.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?
- Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results
- Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup... All Government IT White Papers
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of...
- All Government IT Webcasts