Apple faces EU-wide probes into misleading warranty practices
Justice Commissioner asks member states to examine Apple's selling tactics
IDG News Service - Apple's warranty offerings could be pulled in the European Union in the wake of inquiries the E.U. Justice Commissioner is making into possible misleading sales practices, also known as misselling.
On Tuesday the international tech giant announced that it had stopped selling AppleCare in Italy as of Nov. 9. Earlier this year, the company was handed a $1.15 million fine by the Italian Antitrust Authority for not providing consumers with information regarding their E.U.-protected warranty rights and instead pushing their own paid-for warranty, AppleCare.
Now it has emerged that Commissioner Viviane Reding wrote to all 27 E.U. countries on Sept. 21, asking them to "examine closely Apple's advertising of product warranty practices" for any similar misleading behavior.
In Italy, Apple was warned for not putting E.U. mandates on its retail packaging. A disclaimer was finally added to the boxes following an unsuccessful appeal of the ruling in March.
Reding's office confirmed that she has received complaints from consumer organizations in 11 member states (Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia and Spain) as well as several members of the European Parliament.
Under E.U. consumer law, buyers are automatically entitled to a free minimum two-year warranty. Different sanctions exist in E.U. countries for violations of consumer protection law -- for example fines, as in the case of Italy.
The Unfair Commercial Practices Directive states in part that, "member states shall lay down penalties for infringements of national provisions adopted in application of this Directive and shall take all necessary measures to ensure that these are enforced. These penalties must be effective, proportionate and dissuasive."
In Italy, Apple appears to have been so "dissuaded" that it has withdrawn the product altogether -- although it is still available to buy online.
Apple said its one-year AppleCare service is superior to the E.U.-required two-year warranty as it includes three months' telephone support and covers defects that arise after delivery, but customers may not feel the same.
- Google I/O 2013's Coolest Products and Services
- 10 Star Trek Technologies That are Almost Here
- 19 Generations of Computer Programmers
- 25 Must-Have Technologies for SMBs
- A walking tour: 33 questions to ask about your company's security
- 15 social media scams
- The 7 elements of a successful security awareness program
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Federal IT Innovation Caught in a Catch-22
- Fed resources shoring up old infrastructure, holding back new technologies.
- Case Study: Hospital Turns to Email Archiving Solution to Ensure Regulatory Compliances
- Read this case study to learn how a cloud-based email archiving solution enabled the hospital to meet government mandates and helps avoid thousands...
- Case Study: In-the-Cloud Email Service Replaces Three Point Products
- Read this case study for more information on a comprehensive in-the-cloud email service to help replace three point products.
- Case Study: Simplifying the Transition to Exchange 2010 with Email Management Solutions
- Read this case study to learn how a cloud-based email management solution greatly simplified the company's transition to Exchange 2010.
- What does it take to deliver Security, Privacy and Trust at Mimecast?
- This whitepaper explains the process and controls that Mimecast put in place to deliver a secure, private and trusted SaaS platform for your... All Government IT White Papers
- 3 Reasons Why Sepaton is the World's Fastest Backup Solution
- Leading analyst, Storage Switzerland learns how Sepaton backs up and deduplicates massive data volumes while maintaining the industry's fastest performance - all in...
- Enterprise File Sharing: All You Need to Know
- Security. Scalability. Control. These are just some of the many benefits of enterprise cloud file-sharing that you'll discover in this KnowledgeVault, packed with...
- Bridging HTTP and FTP with FileXpress Internet Server
- What if you could take an FTP server on your internal network, and allow external users (partners or customers) to securely access it...
- MFT and FileXpress - An Overview
- Business users and applications exchange files on a regular basis. File transfer is a core part of the flow of business activity.
- Content Analytics: Big Data Conquered, Customer Service Elevated
- For organizations looking to start a content analytics program or improve their existing capabilities, Aberdeen Group and IBM will lay out several recommendations... All Government IT Webcasts