Apple faces EU-wide probes into misleading warranty practices
Justice Commissioner asks member states to examine Apple's selling tactics
IDG News Service - Apple's warranty offerings could be pulled in the European Union in the wake of inquiries the E.U. Justice Commissioner is making into possible misleading sales practices, also known as misselling.
On Tuesday the international tech giant announced that it had stopped selling AppleCare in Italy as of Nov. 9. Earlier this year, the company was handed a $1.15 million fine by the Italian Antitrust Authority for not providing consumers with information regarding their E.U.-protected warranty rights and instead pushing their own paid-for warranty, AppleCare.
Now it has emerged that Commissioner Viviane Reding wrote to all 27 E.U. countries on Sept. 21, asking them to "examine closely Apple's advertising of product warranty practices" for any similar misleading behavior.
In Italy, Apple was warned for not putting E.U. mandates on its retail packaging. A disclaimer was finally added to the boxes following an unsuccessful appeal of the ruling in March.
Reding's office confirmed that she has received complaints from consumer organizations in 11 member states (Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia and Spain) as well as several members of the European Parliament.
Under E.U. consumer law, buyers are automatically entitled to a free minimum two-year warranty. Different sanctions exist in E.U. countries for violations of consumer protection law -- for example fines, as in the case of Italy.
The Unfair Commercial Practices Directive states in part that, "member states shall lay down penalties for infringements of national provisions adopted in application of this Directive and shall take all necessary measures to ensure that these are enforced. These penalties must be effective, proportionate and dissuasive."
In Italy, Apple appears to have been so "dissuaded" that it has withdrawn the product altogether -- although it is still available to buy online.
Apple said its one-year AppleCare service is superior to the E.U.-required two-year warranty as it includes three months' telephone support and covers defects that arise after delivery, but customers may not feel the same.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery
- Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery
- Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets
- Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014
- Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to... All Government IT White Papers
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- All Government IT Webcasts