CIO - Get ready to answer more questions from your board of directors about social media, new business models and competitive intelligence. Board members expect to spend more time on IT this year and recognize that they haven't paid much attention to some key areas, according to a survey of 860 corporate directors by PricewaterhouseCoopers.
A startling 51 percent of directors say they aren't adequately engaged in overseeing and understanding new business models enabled by IT.
Boards hunger for information about the potential business rewards of these IT concepts, says Don Keller, a partner at PwC's Center for Board Governance. There is no established process on most boards for evaluating emerging IT issues, Keller says. As a result, "there is a general discomfort with IT." (Read more: " CIOs Say Corporate Directors Are Clueless About IT.")
In the PwC survey, directors admit they are "not sufficiently" or "not at all" engaged in other critical IT matters, including:
- Developing a crisis-management plan for social-media disasters (57 percent)
- How the company supports employees who use personal devices for work (62 percent)
- Employee training in social media (64 percent)
- Understanding how competitors use social media and other emerging technologies (66 percent)
Read more about cio role in CIO's CIO Role Drilldown.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!