CIO - Get ready to answer more questions from your board of directors about social media, new business models and competitive intelligence. Board members expect to spend more time on IT this year and recognize that they haven't paid much attention to some key areas, according to a survey of 860 corporate directors by PricewaterhouseCoopers.
A startling 51 percent of directors say they aren't adequately engaged in overseeing and understanding new business models enabled by IT.
Boards hunger for information about the potential business rewards of these IT concepts, says Don Keller, a partner at PwC's Center for Board Governance. There is no established process on most boards for evaluating emerging IT issues, Keller says. As a result, "there is a general discomfort with IT." (Read more: " CIOs Say Corporate Directors Are Clueless About IT.")
In the PwC survey, directors admit they are "not sufficiently" or "not at all" engaged in other critical IT matters, including:
- Developing a crisis-management plan for social-media disasters (57 percent)
- How the company supports employees who use personal devices for work (62 percent)
- Employee training in social media (64 percent)
- Understanding how competitors use social media and other emerging technologies (66 percent)
Read more about cio role in CIO's CIO Role Drilldown.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!