CIO - Get ready to answer more questions from your board of directors about social media, new business models and competitive intelligence. Board members expect to spend more time on IT this year and recognize that they haven't paid much attention to some key areas, according to a survey of 860 corporate directors by PricewaterhouseCoopers.
A startling 51 percent of directors say they aren't adequately engaged in overseeing and understanding new business models enabled by IT.
Boards hunger for information about the potential business rewards of these IT concepts, says Don Keller, a partner at PwC's Center for Board Governance. There is no established process on most boards for evaluating emerging IT issues, Keller says. As a result, "there is a general discomfort with IT." (Read more: " CIOs Say Corporate Directors Are Clueless About IT.")
In the PwC survey, directors admit they are "not sufficiently" or "not at all" engaged in other critical IT matters, including:
- Developing a crisis-management plan for social-media disasters (57 percent)
- How the company supports employees who use personal devices for work (62 percent)
- Employee training in social media (64 percent)
- Understanding how competitors use social media and other emerging technologies (66 percent)
Read more about cio role in CIO's CIO Role Drilldown.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts