CIO - Get ready to answer more questions from your board of directors about social media, new business models and competitive intelligence. Board members expect to spend more time on IT this year and recognize that they haven't paid much attention to some key areas, according to a survey of 860 corporate directors by PricewaterhouseCoopers.
A startling 51 percent of directors say they aren't adequately engaged in overseeing and understanding new business models enabled by IT.
Boards hunger for information about the potential business rewards of these IT concepts, says Don Keller, a partner at PwC's Center for Board Governance. There is no established process on most boards for evaluating emerging IT issues, Keller says. As a result, "there is a general discomfort with IT." (Read more: " CIOs Say Corporate Directors Are Clueless About IT.")
In the PwC survey, directors admit they are "not sufficiently" or "not at all" engaged in other critical IT matters, including:
- Developing a crisis-management plan for social-media disasters (57 percent)
- How the company supports employees who use personal devices for work (62 percent)
- Employee training in social media (64 percent)
- Understanding how competitors use social media and other emerging technologies (66 percent)
Read more about cio role in CIO's CIO Role Drilldown.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Best Practices in BYOD - Addressing BYOD Challenges in the Enterprise Take control of the iOS, Android™ and BlackBerry® devices in your organization, from one powerful, unified console.
- Built for Business: 10 Reasons BlackBerry Smartphones Are Still the Best Way to Do Business The BlackBerry® 10 mobile computing platform removes many of the barriers that slow down other devices. Here are just a few of the...
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts