CIO - How do I manage my online reputation to support my career?
Always maintain a branded online presence--it's essential in today's world of work. Your online identity could support or torpedo your candidacy for the position you may want next. According to multiple studies noted by Harvard Business Review, more than 75 percent of companies and recruiters review candidate profiles online and 70 percent have decided not to hire a candidate based on what they've found. And some won't hire you if they find little online information about you, so don't try to be invisible either.
Sometimes mix a little personality into your professional image. But be careful and use common sense on exactly what you share. There are some things we just don't need to know. Use the 80-20 rule: 80 percent professional image in public, 20 percent of your personal side. For example, if you are on Twitter, 80 percent of your tweets can be about technology, industry and business topics, while 20 percent are about your thoughts on travel, sports, current events, your city, family, friends and your personal technology.
Never ruin your reputation by using bad language or being disrespectful (online or in any public setting). If you want to disagree in an online post, make your point in a polite manner and move on. With 85 percent of American adults using the Internet, according to a recent Pew study, there is a lot of noise out there. Distinguish yourself as an intelligent thinker, but not at the expense of someone else. Think before you press the enter key. If you're not sure how your message will be perceived, now or later, decide against sending it and simply walk away.
Kim Batson, a CIO career coach, can be contacted at http://cio-coach.com.
Read more about relationship building/networking in CIO's Relationship Building/Networking Drilldown.
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- Adding WOW to the WAN WAN optimization techniques tweak bandwidth for better network performance and more.
- WAN Sizzle With a shift in traffic patterns from recent trends like virtualization, mobility and cloud - IT organizations need to get more effective usage...
- Optimizing the Network The network has become a utility that users can't do without. Mobility and bandwidth-hungry apps demand faster and more efficient networks.
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless...
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!