CIO - How do I manage my online reputation to support my career?
Always maintain a branded online presence--it's essential in today's world of work. Your online identity could support or torpedo your candidacy for the position you may want next. According to multiple studies noted by Harvard Business Review, more than 75 percent of companies and recruiters review candidate profiles online and 70 percent have decided not to hire a candidate based on what they've found. And some won't hire you if they find little online information about you, so don't try to be invisible either.
Sometimes mix a little personality into your professional image. But be careful and use common sense on exactly what you share. There are some things we just don't need to know. Use the 80-20 rule: 80 percent professional image in public, 20 percent of your personal side. For example, if you are on Twitter, 80 percent of your tweets can be about technology, industry and business topics, while 20 percent are about your thoughts on travel, sports, current events, your city, family, friends and your personal technology.
Never ruin your reputation by using bad language or being disrespectful (online or in any public setting). If you want to disagree in an online post, make your point in a polite manner and move on. With 85 percent of American adults using the Internet, according to a recent Pew study, there is a lot of noise out there. Distinguish yourself as an intelligent thinker, but not at the expense of someone else. Think before you press the enter key. If you're not sure how your message will be perceived, now or later, decide against sending it and simply walk away.
Kim Batson, a CIO career coach, can be contacted at http://cio-coach.com.
Read more about relationship building/networking in CIO's Relationship Building/Networking Drilldown.
Oracle Software Licensing: The Value of Resellers
NEW white paper explores real-world insights and:
* The Rise of Audits
* Compliance Spend
* SAM and Compliance
* Working Directly with a...
- ACM Leadership Guide Knowledge worker effectiveness has emerged as a top priority to both optimize the customer experience and help employees work more efficiently. See how...
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the... All Management White Papers | Webcasts