CIO - How do I manage my online reputation to support my career?
Always maintain a branded online presence--it's essential in today's world of work. Your online identity could support or torpedo your candidacy for the position you may want next. According to multiple studies noted by Harvard Business Review, more than 75 percent of companies and recruiters review candidate profiles online and 70 percent have decided not to hire a candidate based on what they've found. And some won't hire you if they find little online information about you, so don't try to be invisible either.
Sometimes mix a little personality into your professional image. But be careful and use common sense on exactly what you share. There are some things we just don't need to know. Use the 80-20 rule: 80 percent professional image in public, 20 percent of your personal side. For example, if you are on Twitter, 80 percent of your tweets can be about technology, industry and business topics, while 20 percent are about your thoughts on travel, sports, current events, your city, family, friends and your personal technology.
Never ruin your reputation by using bad language or being disrespectful (online or in any public setting). If you want to disagree in an online post, make your point in a polite manner and move on. With 85 percent of American adults using the Internet, according to a recent Pew study, there is a lot of noise out there. Distinguish yourself as an intelligent thinker, but not at the expense of someone else. Think before you press the enter key. If you're not sure how your message will be perceived, now or later, decide against sending it and simply walk away.
Kim Batson, a CIO career coach, can be contacted at http://cio-coach.com.
Read more about relationship building/networking in CIO's Relationship Building/Networking Drilldown.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.