Two indicted in alleged theft of court database source code
Prosecutors say the source code was transferred to a software development company based in Florida
IDG News Service - Two former employees of Alabama's court system were indicted Wednesday for allegedly stealing the source code for a court-records database and transferring it to a Florida-based company.
The employees, Michael David Carroll, 58, and Jill Hawthorne, 35, worked for Alabama's Administrative Office of the Courts (AOC). Carroll was the former director of information systems, and Hawthorne was a former database administrator, according to a news release from the U.S. Department of Justice.
They are charged with one count of stealing property having a value of $5,000 or more by an employee of a state or local government agency that receives $10,000 or more annually in federal assistance, the DOJ said.
The two are accused of stealing the source code and schema for an AOC database called Namemaster along with hundreds of thousands of court records from Jefferson County, Alabama. The data was given to CyberBest Technology, a private software development company based in Orlando, Fla., that specializes in building systems for the public legal sector and law enforcement agencies, the DOJ said.
The original indictment, which would likely contain more details on the allegations, was not immediately available on the court's website. CyberBest Technology officials could not be immediately reached for comment.
The case is being prosecuted in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama. If convicted, Carroll and Hawthorne could face up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine, the DOJ said.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
This state transportation department uses computer science students from a local university as programming interns, and everyone is happy with the arrangement -- until one intern learns how to bring down the mainframe.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Path Selection Infographic
- Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic
- A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era
- From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs
- If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity... All Government IT White Papers
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- All Government IT Webcasts