Two indicted in alleged theft of court database source code
Prosecutors say the source code was transferred to a software development company based in Florida
IDG News Service - Two former employees of Alabama's court system were indicted Wednesday for allegedly stealing the source code for a court-records database and transferring it to a Florida-based company.
The employees, Michael David Carroll, 58, and Jill Hawthorne, 35, worked for Alabama's Administrative Office of the Courts (AOC). Carroll was the former director of information systems, and Hawthorne was a former database administrator, according to a news release from the U.S. Department of Justice.
They are charged with one count of stealing property having a value of $5,000 or more by an employee of a state or local government agency that receives $10,000 or more annually in federal assistance, the DOJ said.
The two are accused of stealing the source code and schema for an AOC database called Namemaster along with hundreds of thousands of court records from Jefferson County, Alabama. The data was given to CyberBest Technology, a private software development company based in Orlando, Fla., that specializes in building systems for the public legal sector and law enforcement agencies, the DOJ said.
The original indictment, which would likely contain more details on the allegations, was not immediately available on the court's website. CyberBest Technology officials could not be immediately reached for comment.
The case is being prosecuted in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama. If convicted, Carroll and Hawthorne could face up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine, the DOJ said.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce
- Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization
- Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment
- IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization
- A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire... All Government IT White Papers
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- All Government IT Webcasts