Two indicted in alleged theft of court database source code
Prosecutors say the source code was transferred to a software development company based in Florida
IDG News Service - Two former employees of Alabama's court system were indicted Wednesday for allegedly stealing the source code for a court-records database and transferring it to a Florida-based company.
The employees, Michael David Carroll, 58, and Jill Hawthorne, 35, worked for Alabama's Administrative Office of the Courts (AOC). Carroll was the former director of information systems, and Hawthorne was a former database administrator, according to a news release from the U.S. Department of Justice.
They are charged with one count of stealing property having a value of $5,000 or more by an employee of a state or local government agency that receives $10,000 or more annually in federal assistance, the DOJ said.
The two are accused of stealing the source code and schema for an AOC database called Namemaster along with hundreds of thousands of court records from Jefferson County, Alabama. The data was given to CyberBest Technology, a private software development company based in Orlando, Fla., that specializes in building systems for the public legal sector and law enforcement agencies, the DOJ said.
The original indictment, which would likely contain more details on the allegations, was not immediately available on the court's website. CyberBest Technology officials could not be immediately reached for comment.
The case is being prosecuted in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama. If convicted, Carroll and Hawthorne could face up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine, the DOJ said.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Top 3 Myths about Big Data Security : Debunking common misconceptions about big data security
- Big data represents massive business possibilities and competitive advantage for organizations that are able to harness and use that information. But how are...
- Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology
- IBM is a leader in Gartner Inc's Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology. Read the full report to learn about IBM.
- Best Practices for Securing Hadoop
- Historically, Apache Hadoop has provided limited security capabilities. To protect sensitive data being stored and analyzed in Hadoop, security architects should use a...
- Top Tips for Securing Big Data Environments: Why Big Data Doesn't Have to Mean Big Security Challenges
- Organizations must come to terms with the security challenges they introduce. As big data environments ingest more data, organizations will face significant risks... All Government IT White Papers
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- All Government IT Webcasts