Windows Phone 8 TV ads launch tonight with Gwen Stefani, other celebrities
Focus is on how personal each Windows Phone is
Computerworld - Microsoft will begin running four new TV ads for Windows Phone 8 tonight, featuring celebrities Jessica Alba and Gwen Stefani and the live tiles interface in the new devices.
The main point of the 30-second spots posted on YouTube today is to "show how personal Windows Phone is, while showcasing the features that make it so different," a Microsoft spokeswoman said. "They bring to life the idea that Microsoft didn't make a phone for all of us, but for each of us."
Advertising agency CrispinPorter + Bogusky created the ads. Microsoft would not disclose the cost of the ads, but the spokeswoman said it is the "most significant advertising campaign we have done to date to build the Windows Phone brand."
Future versions of the ads will feature Andy Samberg and Cam Newton, with each celebrity instilling their own flavor. One of the two Alba ads shows her use of Kid's Corner, a Windows Phone 8 feature that helps parents control what their kids can access on the Windows Phone.
Microsoft is using Windows Phone 8x running on HTC phones and Nokia Lumia 920 phones in the ads.
The four ads depict the live tiles on each celebrity's phone, showing in some cases how the tiles flip to reflect a current email or message or can be customized to show popular apps for direct access from the home screen.
When Windows Phone 8 was launched on Oct. 29, a YouTube ad featuring the voice and HTC phone of CEO Steve Ballmer described ways his phone keeps him up-to-date with family and work colleagues through the use of live tiles.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Windows Phone in Computerworld's Windows Phone Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Windows Phone White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!