Windows Phone 8 TV ads launch tonight with Gwen Stefani, other celebrities
Focus is on how personal each Windows Phone is
Computerworld - Microsoft will begin running four new TV ads for Windows Phone 8 tonight, featuring celebrities Jessica Alba and Gwen Stefani and the live tiles interface in the new devices.
The main point of the 30-second spots posted on YouTube today is to "show how personal Windows Phone is, while showcasing the features that make it so different," a Microsoft spokeswoman said. "They bring to life the idea that Microsoft didn't make a phone for all of us, but for each of us."
Advertising agency CrispinPorter + Bogusky created the ads. Microsoft would not disclose the cost of the ads, but the spokeswoman said it is the "most significant advertising campaign we have done to date to build the Windows Phone brand."
Future versions of the ads will feature Andy Samberg and Cam Newton, with each celebrity instilling their own flavor. One of the two Alba ads shows her use of Kid's Corner, a Windows Phone 8 feature that helps parents control what their kids can access on the Windows Phone.
Microsoft is using Windows Phone 8x running on HTC phones and Nokia Lumia 920 phones in the ads.
The four ads depict the live tiles on each celebrity's phone, showing in some cases how the tiles flip to reflect a current email or message or can be customized to show popular apps for direct access from the home screen.
When Windows Phone 8 was launched on Oct. 29, a YouTube ad featuring the voice and HTC phone of CEO Steve Ballmer described ways his phone keeps him up-to-date with family and work colleagues through the use of live tiles.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Windows Phone in Computerworld's Windows Phone Topic Center.
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts