Windows Phone 8 TV ads launch tonight with Gwen Stefani, other celebrities
Focus is on how personal each Windows Phone is
Computerworld - Microsoft will begin running four new TV ads for Windows Phone 8 tonight, featuring celebrities Jessica Alba and Gwen Stefani and the live tiles interface in the new devices.
The main point of the 30-second spots posted on YouTube today is to "show how personal Windows Phone is, while showcasing the features that make it so different," a Microsoft spokeswoman said. "They bring to life the idea that Microsoft didn't make a phone for all of us, but for each of us."
Advertising agency CrispinPorter + Bogusky created the ads. Microsoft would not disclose the cost of the ads, but the spokeswoman said it is the "most significant advertising campaign we have done to date to build the Windows Phone brand."
Future versions of the ads will feature Andy Samberg and Cam Newton, with each celebrity instilling their own flavor. One of the two Alba ads shows her use of Kid's Corner, a Windows Phone 8 feature that helps parents control what their kids can access on the Windows Phone.
Microsoft is using Windows Phone 8x running on HTC phones and Nokia Lumia 920 phones in the ads.
The four ads depict the live tiles on each celebrity's phone, showing in some cases how the tiles flip to reflect a current email or message or can be customized to show popular apps for direct access from the home screen.
When Windows Phone 8 was launched on Oct. 29, a YouTube ad featuring the voice and HTC phone of CEO Steve Ballmer described ways his phone keeps him up-to-date with family and work colleagues through the use of live tiles.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Windows Phone in Computerworld's Windows Phone Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!