Windows Phone 8 TV ads launch tonight with Gwen Stefani, other celebrities
Focus is on how personal each Windows Phone is
Computerworld - Microsoft will begin running four new TV ads for Windows Phone 8 tonight, featuring celebrities Jessica Alba and Gwen Stefani and the live tiles interface in the new devices.
The main point of the 30-second spots posted on YouTube today is to "show how personal Windows Phone is, while showcasing the features that make it so different," a Microsoft spokeswoman said. "They bring to life the idea that Microsoft didn't make a phone for all of us, but for each of us."
Advertising agency CrispinPorter + Bogusky created the ads. Microsoft would not disclose the cost of the ads, but the spokeswoman said it is the "most significant advertising campaign we have done to date to build the Windows Phone brand."
Future versions of the ads will feature Andy Samberg and Cam Newton, with each celebrity instilling their own flavor. One of the two Alba ads shows her use of Kid's Corner, a Windows Phone 8 feature that helps parents control what their kids can access on the Windows Phone.
Microsoft is using Windows Phone 8x running on HTC phones and Nokia Lumia 920 phones in the ads.
The four ads depict the live tiles on each celebrity's phone, showing in some cases how the tiles flip to reflect a current email or message or can be customized to show popular apps for direct access from the home screen.
When Windows Phone 8 was launched on Oct. 29, a YouTube ad featuring the voice and HTC phone of CEO Steve Ballmer described ways his phone keeps him up-to-date with family and work colleagues through the use of live tiles.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Windows Phone in Computerworld's Windows Phone Topic Center.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Windows Phone White Papers | Webcasts