Facebook launches app to help users find jobs
New app starts with 1.7 million job listings, ranging from engineering to medicine and IT
Computerworld - Watch out, LinkedIn. Facebook is getting in your space.
The social network announced Wednesday that it's launching an app to help users find jobs.
The app, as of Wednesday afternoon, included 1.7 million job listings, in areas including IT/Software Development, Science/Engineering/R&D and Security/Protective Services.
Users can search the jobs database by keyword and location.
The app includes job listings from Monster.com, Work4Labs, BranchOut and the DirectEmployers Association.
"This makes sense for Facebook," said Ezra Gottheil, an analyst with Technology Business Research. "They haven't done anything like this before, but it's a natural fit for them. People use their network already to find jobs."
According to a survey by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, 50% of employers use Facebook during the hiring process. Employers use social networking sites to screen the profiles of potential employees, checking posts, pictures and video for information ranging from how hard they might party to what they might have said online about previous employers.
Among social networks, LinkedIn is the one generally used by people looking for jobs or business contacts. Gottheil said the network does a solid job of connecting businesses and potential employees, and Facebook's move into this area will be a challenge.
LinkedIn has such a solid position among job hunters that it would take a lot for Facebook to unseat it, he added.
"Facebook's latest move is more of a public service, basically putting a job bank on Facebook, where users can see it," said Gottheil. "LinkedIn is all about jobs. That's the first place people look, and it's where they post almost entirely job-related information. Facebook has a long way to go before it begins to impinge on that space."
Facebook's jobs app is part of the company's Social Jobs Partnership initiative, which was formed in the fall of 2011 in conjunction with the U.S. Department of Labor and several other labor organizations.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
- Update: Facebook back up after crash
- What to expect in Facebook's earnings call today
- Could you quit Facebook for 99 days?
- Facebook is a school yard bully that's going down
- EPIC says Facebook 'messed with people's minds,' seeks FTC sanctions
- 7 things you need to know about Facebook's mood experiment
- Facebook emotional manipulation test turns users into 'lab rats'
- Facebook tries to stop Snapchat drain with Slingshot
- TMI! Facebook moves to stop over-sharing
- Inside Facebook's brilliant plan to hog your data
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts